How to show outlines of objects in 3D renders

OMEGA-ThundeR

Hi,

Is there some render option or variable that will show the edgeline/contour of objects when rendered?  I have an object that is build out of multiple elements, but when i render the 3D image, edges are not shown.

In the below examples the 'render with outline' is created with adding extra lines and using some lisp to sweep an circle over the lines to create the visual style you see there.  But with more complex objects this would be very time consuming.

Is there a simple way to show outlines of objects in renders?

I used the Render command in Autocad 2022.

render without lines.png

render with outline.png

Maybe this?  To work with displaying edges and effects see the AutoDesk whitepaper entitled, "Display the Visual Styles Manager to Set Edge Effects."  Mar 30, 2020.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ReMark said:

Maybe this?  To work with displaying edges and effects see the AutoDesk whitepaper entitled, "Display the Visual Styles Manager to Set Edge Effects."  Mar 30, 2020.

I guess you are refering to this page?
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2021/ENU/AutoCAD-Core/files/GUID-6ABABAE4-1585-47B4-A494-C40222BF67AF-htm.html 

But it pretty much only applies to how it is visualized in the modelspace, not when rendering (then it still doesn't show edges).

I used the command 'Visualstyles' and showed edges on the 'realistic' style.  At least i see the lines now in my modelspace, but i need them to show in the final render :).

I took a shot in the dark... and missed.  My apologies.  I haven't used AutoCAD in three years and my knowledge bank may be somewhat depleted.  I do hope that you find a solution to your problem.  

I'm no expert on rendering in Autocad, and I could be wrong, but I don't think this is possible. However, it is possible in other programs. If you export your model to .fbx or .stl and then import it into Blender, you can do it by simply checking the "Freestyle" box in the Render Properties panel and then set the line thickness that you want. Below is a very quick and dirty example. I didn't apply any textures. I just slapped on a basic material and rendered the image. Having said that, you can't just import the model and hit render. There's quite a bit of work that has to be done in order to set up the model for smoothing, texturing, lighting and rendering. If you want a simpler approach, maybe you could try Simlab Composer. They have a free Lite version you can download. I don't know if Simlab can do the outline edges, but it's worth a try.

untitled.png

You might be able to get satisfactory results by using strategically located lights.  In the image below I slightly separated the two boxes to highlight what would otherwise be an invisible seam.

1983538509_edgehighlights-Temp0011.png.a1610a671c644110808b4ad403c5efd0.png

image.png

Exporting t

On 3/3/2022 at 12:41 PM, ReMark said:

I took a shot in the dark... and missed.  My apologies.  I haven't used AutoCAD in three years and my knowledge bank may be somewhat depleted.  I do hope that you find a solution to your problem.  

No worries, every bit of information helps. And in this case it did help me a little for the workflow :).

21 hours ago, Cad64 said:

I'm no expert on rendering in Autocad, and I could be wrong, but I don't think this is possible. However, it is possible in other programs. If you export your model to .fbx or .stl and then import it into Blender, you can do it by simply checking the "Freestyle" box in the Render Properties panel and then set the line thickness that you want. Below is a very quick and dirty example. I didn't apply any textures. I just slapped on a basic material and rendered the image. Having said that, you can't just import the model and hit render. There's quite a bit of work that has to be done in order to set up the model for smoothing, texturing, lighting and rendering. If you want a simpler approach, maybe you could try Simlab Composer. They have a free Lite version you can download. I don't know if Simlab can do the outline edges, but it's worth a try.

untitled.png

I have some other packages in my Autodesk Subscription, i could try 3DS Max or some other programm to try and render.  But the nice thing of the 'Render' command within Autocad is the easy-ness of use.  Exporting en importing also has the risk of loosing the applied textures and thus having to put (a lot of) extra time in finishing the object to render.

9 hours ago, lrm said:

You might be able to get satisfactory results by using strategically located lights.  In the image below I slightly separated the two boxes to highlight what would otherwise be an invisible seam.

1983538509_edgehighlights-Temp0011.png.a1610a671c644110808b4ad403c5efd0.png

image.png

Other tips i read was the addition of small chamfers to the edges, it pretty much does the same thing because every plane that is lighted has a slighly different 'brightness'.
But it will not be as crips ánd it does make the progress of continuing the design more difficult.

These 'workarrounds' are basicly only possible when you are done designing or want to render and you have to undo these changes when you want to continue.

The fastest way i have now is exploding the (copied) 'finished' design 2 times (from Solid to Region, and from Region to Line) and using the SWEEP command to apply a small circle to all the lines and give them a black color.  Then i get the result i want and show in my OP.
In case of below image it took me about 5 minutes to get that result.  But it  would be nice to not have that 5 minutes extra work everytime.

simple render.png

simple render edges.png

The sweep-circles-along-lines ignores cylindrical silhouette lines and seems like a lot of work.  Since you have access to 3ds Max you might consider one of the stylized viewport options.  Here's the result of importing an AutoCAD solid model and then applying a smooth modifier to objects with curves surfaces.  It's fast (no rendering) and easy.  No need to fool with lights.  Here's a sample "Pastel" option.

image1.thumb.PNG.8351ea06e325e38917949d7d9475ea40.PNG

image.png

Since you have 3ds Max, you can "File Link" your dwg instead of importing. The File Link in Max works like Xrefs in Autocad, so any changes you make to the CAD model will update to the Max file by simply reloading the file. And I believe the materials you apply in Autocad will show up in the Max file also. It's been a long time since I worked in Max, so I don't remember exactly, but it would be worth checking out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2022 at 3:35 PM, lrm said:

The sweep-circles-along-lines ignores cylindrical silhouette lines and seems like a lot of work.  Since you have access to 3ds Max you might consider one of the stylized viewport options.  Here's the result of importing an AutoCAD solid model and then applying a smooth modifier to objects with curves surfaces.  It's fast (no rendering) and easy.  No need to fool with lights.  Here's a sample "Pastel" option.

It's reasonably easy to do, copy the model, expode till i only got lines left and apply a list routine that sweeps a circle on all the lines. i could programm a lisp to make it a '1 command action'.  But it needs to be applied in the end result, so doing it everytime is the time consuming part.  

But i need the lines in the final render, anything that only shows in the CAD model of paperspace has no use in the rendered image, cause it won't show.

On 3/4/2022 at 4:28 PM, Cad64 said:

Since you have 3ds Max, you can "File Link" your dwg instead of importing. The File Link in Max works like Xrefs in Autocad, so any changes you make to the CAD model will update to the Max file by simply reloading the file. And I believe the materials you apply in Autocad will show up in the Max file also. It's been a long time since I worked in Max, so I don't remember exactly, but it would be worth checking out.

I will try this option when i get to it,  sounds viable.  Thanks.