3D Rendering Quality

Bill Tillman

Way back in 2014, I was tasked with creating 3D renderings of some metal assemblies. With a little concentrated effort I was amazed at how photo realistic the renderings would turn out. That gig eventually played out and I moved on. Recently I was assigned another 3D rendering task for a project and I created the attached model using AC Professional 2022. I've tricked it out with some simple materials but for the most part just left it generic. And alas, the quality of the rendering leaves a lot to be desired. I know AutoDesk changed the rendering engine several years back, but in 2014 I seem to recall how simple it was to get a really high quality rendering.

If anyone can take this model and offer some advice on what I could do to get that real architectural precision. There are no lights assigned and no ground or floor to bounce the lights back up in this model as I'm trying to keep it simple for the moment.

Trellis 3D Model.dwg

Here's a couple things you can do.

Set Perspective to 1

Set Sunstatus to 1

Beyond that, adding a simple cube under the model, so it has something to sit on and catch shadows, will help to ground the model and add some realism.

Here's a quick render, using the low quality preset, with the above settings.

Trellis 3D Model.jpg

• Like 1

@Bill Tillman You are correct, setting up for a decent render has become a lot more complicated.  There are many new features but many are missing. I do most of my rendering with 3ds Max.

Disregarding materials for now.

1. With WCS set to world go to the front view and then set UCS V.
  2. Create a camera so that its pointing towards the front of the building.  Using a camera give you much more control on framing your image than working in a perspective view that will always position the horizon in the middle of the screen. 
    image.thumb.png.95298f8cec7de4f9eb8a90491518dd29.png
  3. Go to the top view and set UCS world and move the camera and its target until you get the desired view.  Consider placing the camera at eye level a height of  60" ( < 2m) and the target z slightly higher.
    image.thumb.png.c1174fdaeb45e8c0fb991ecbf056e782.png
  4. Go to the Visualize tab and turn on Sun Status, set Full Shadows, and set for Sky Background and Illumination.
    image.png.7104fc4858542201e62193c2ad2d1253.png
  5. Add a large plane for the ground and assign it a green matte material to start.
  6. Give the VIEW command and set current the Canera1 view.
  7. Do a test render.
  8. Adjust exposure brightness and white balance. 
    image.thumb.png.0e5e765d2c73ba0f840b78b738b32232.png
    image.thumb.png.907021cc95b4b3cb2cb304a45fcf6047.png
  9. Experiment A LOT!

Good luck.

image.png

Edited by lrm
Accidently hit submit.

1 hour ago, BIGAL said:

Have a look in showcase in particular David Bethel submissions uses Autocad only

David uses a REALLY old version of Autocad, doesn't he? Like version 12 or something?

• Like 1

Yes, when they changed the render engine up a few years ago, it has been a lot more effort for less results IMHO.

I get them a lot better afterwards with GIMP or Photoshop, et. al.

What does your render look like?

Adding a base and other elements and working the view will help.

Just a quick render with medium settings, 28 seconds IIRC.

Trellis 3D Model-Temp0001.png

using the right materials (textures) will help to.

The framing uses some 'concrete' texture, and the layer states is 'aluminium'

Also the scale of the textures matter in a render. Just applying some material to an object isn't enough for a smooth look.

However, there is some general texture to the 'white' color, since that gritty look of the framing isn't applied to other colors (or when transfered to a new drawing).