Dimensions randomly changing

valljen

I have been working on drawings where I dimension and put annotations on paper space. With the new version of AutoCAD 2019, I have been experiencing this glitch in my dimensions.

When I start the dimension string they all look correct but once the drawing gets regenerated or open again, few dimensions they appear to have additional digits at the end. (please find the attached image). When I click on them the Associative feature seams to be Partial. 

When I match-property the dimension to the one which is correct, it changes to the right dimension, but again when the file is opened or if the dimension is dragged it changes to this incorrect figure again. It is frustration to go and keep on checking dimension every time I open the file.

Can anyone suggest me any solution.

Thanks

1127595391_2022-03-21(2).thumb.png.87c461520aacd1edbc2d578ec051a7a6.png

Hello Valljen & welcome to the CadTutor Forum.  :)

In order to preemptively stop this you will need to go to OPTIONS, and on the User Preferences tab, deselect ASSOCIATIVE Dimensioning, which is ON by default.

image.thumb.png.8e6395dcfa14ecc67d9ef5942f4b34a3.png

As shown in the screenshot from the SYSVDLG (System Variable Dialog), the default setting is ON.

image.thumb.png.254a09f1c26291be3b2678f399c44e38.png

If you want to fix all of the dimesnions after the fact, in a single go?

Use DDA (DimensionDisassociate) and select all of the dimensions in the drawing, as per the last screenshot.

image.thumb.png.af056047d2a0bb31637d6079ed912a5f.png

Edited by Dadgad
further clarification & welcome

Thanks for the tip but when I uncheck the associate the dimension under options/user preference, I am not able to dimensions things in Paper space, as it is not associated anymore. 

Its a good question, the floor plan is where there is majority of dimensioning done so it is more prominent over there. The other sheets not that much. The odd thing is they occur randomly to different dimensions so I have to check all of them, whenever I open the drawing. I am attaching a DWG file for your reference. I have made a cloud annotation to the dimension which have changed when I have opened it here. It may or may not be the same dimensions for your.

Good luck .

Sample.dwg

All the dims you have highlighted are only partially associated, that is the problem with using dimensions in paper space, you have to be 1000% positive that you are picking a point of geometry and not picking the node point or some other part of one of your other dimensions. Autocad cannot work out what the dims are if you are selecting one end in modelspace and the other end is in paperspasce. It helps a bit to turn of ALL unneccessary osnaps (like node) and then also make sure you are hovering over geometry when dimensioning and not in an area close to the ends of other dims.

• Like 1

I realized that as well these odd dimensions are partially associated. But how to totally associate these dimensions. Is re-dimensioning the only way out. Is there an easy way of filtering all the partial dimensions so that I can locate them and replace?? Also if it is picking up some random node points then it should show a different dimension right? I was fine with the older version but 2019 has some glitches which I don't have any clue 

Thanks Steve-G for your suggestion on turning off the osnaps like nodes and others... I think this will work for future projects. In the mean time I will have to check all the dimensions individually and re-dimension. I guess it has to be done. 

Thank you all for the help.

Have a lovey day.

You can make defuns for your osnap settings so before dim reset to say end only, type osnap set to what you want and then type osmode can see number to set in defun.

(defun C:15 ()(setvar "osmode" 15359))   ; sets all snaps on
(defun C:47 ()(setvar "osmode" 47)(setvar "AUNITS" 0))
(defun C:99 ()(setvar "osmode" 99))
(defun C:1 ()(setvar "osmode" 1)) ; end only

• Like 1

I used the LAYISO command to isolate all the dimensions (just for visual clarification), didn't really NEED to do that,

I could have, and normally do leave all layers on when doing this.

After Saving > Closing and reopening the .dwg, thos dimensions are shown as NON-Associative, and show what I assume to be

accurate Dims.  I am guessing that SUDY (as rev clouded in the seconf screenshot) is meant to be STUDY?

Perhaps this might be of further assistance?

image.thumb.png.ea964b326fd7ce5fc91cd23bc334463c.png

This System Variable setting can also be founf in OPTIONS, an the DRAFTING Tab.

image.thumb.png.c0b44fb9dd9b4123c83da62aa6003bb3.png

Be sure to remember to click Apply and OK after making changes in these dialog boxes.  :|

• Like 1

ADIEU!  Having reread your latest post, I now understand that it was your intention to make them all FULLY ASSOCIATIVE!   :huh:  :facepalm:

I do all of my dimensioning in Paperspace, and without incident, but they are all Non-associative.

I might suggest dimensioning in Modelspace, although that can also open additional cans of worms.  :beard:

@valljenYou can use qselect to select only dims and then in the list of properties find 'associative' and choose partial (then change the layer or color in properties until you have fixed each dim makes it easy to go through them all).

Partial.jpg.323a1bb43570fc1c8bce7b1d3ef77b5f.jpg

• Like 2