Penn Foster Plate 3

JonnaMcSki

Hello,

I'm working on the Penn Foster Structural and Civil Drafting Project. I am aware the there is a feed that talks on this. They do not speak on what I lost on.

The instructions for how to make a profile are:

DRAWING HIGHWAY PROFILES

Follow these steps to create a highway profile:

1. Create a grid that's a little longer than your highway centerline. If your profile will be drawn at a different scale (for instance, not actual size), it's best to draw the profile at scale rather than using actual measurements. It may be helpful to set and lock the viewport in the Layout tab as 1:1 and draw the profile within the viewport Model space so you can see the space you have available on the drawing sheet.

2. Plot the highway centerline along the grid, making sure to use the right scale both horizontally and vertically.

3. Label the locations of any features, such as stationing, culverts, utilities, and so on on the profile. Where appropriate, add these features to the profile (for example, for a culvert under the highway.)

And the project directions are:

For Section A, use a vertical scale of 1″ = 10′ and a horizontal scale of 1″ = 60′. Show the stationing, however, in 50-foot increments. Thus, when plotting the drawing, the distance between Station 0 + 00 and Station 0 + 50 will be 5⁄6 of an inch.

Label the southern edge of the driveway and the northern edge of the driveway.

Use the layer Details with the appropriate hatch patterns to show the cut and/or fill in the cross-section.

Technically, the culvert should also be in this section. However, it's clearer to show the culvert in the driveway profile. Showing it in Section A might be more confusing than helpful. Thus, it's best to omit that feature of the building from Section A.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to literally line the driveway up with the graph or just mathematically. I also don't understand if this is the correct scale.

Can someone please tell me if this is correct? 

Screenshot (134).png

Edited by JonnaMcSki

No, you do not line the driveway up to the grid.  If you did that the features in the plan view of the driveway would not fall in their correct locations in the grid.  It's all based on the stationing.  Example: if you have a culvert located at station 3+87.5 in the plan view then it must be drawn at the same location in the grid and at the proper elevation.

Note: It would help immensely if you asked your question in a thread that actually covers this particular P-F project.  I have mentioned this to you in the past.

Edited by ReMark

Thank you for answering

Note: I did ask my question in that thread and no one responded.  please go look

Edited by JonnaMcSki

Hello.... 

I'm here asking because I really want to understand this. I get that I need to take some more classes to fill in all the gaps that Penn Foster has left. I can't do that until I get through this course. The faster I get help here the sooner you will not have to deal with me again because I'll be at an onsite college where I can get the help, I need from the support staff that is educated in helping dyslectic students.

17 hours ago, JonnaMcSki said:

So, do I not line it up at all? or is the alignment just wrong?

You can line up station 0+00 in the plan view of the driveway with 0+00 in the grid and that's all.  Everything after that is based upon the stationing.  Did you not follow what I wrote in my example previously?  When it comes to plotting features shown in the plan view, in the profile grid, treat the plan view as if it were a straight line.    

Edited by ReMark
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, JonnaMcSki said:

Thank you for answering

Note: I did ask my question in that thread and no one responded.  please go look

Posting the same question across multiple threads just causes confusion and requires any forum member who wishes to follow the line of questioning to now jump between the two threads.  Please remember, we are all here, and respond to questions, strictly on a volunteer basis.  Sometimes questions go unanswered because we have work, family and/or social obligations to attend to just like anyone else.  Have you ever heard the saying... Patience is a virtue?  Relax.

On 3/26/2022 at 9:15 AM, ReMark said:

Posting the same question across multiple threads just causes confusion and requires any forum member who wishes to follow the line of questioning to now jump between the two threads.  Please remember, we are all here, and respond to questions, strictly on a volunteer basis.  Sometimes questions go unanswered because we have work, family and/or social obligations to attend to just like anyone else.  Have you ever heard the saying... Patience is a virtue?  Relax.

Okay. This is officially not helpful at all so I'm officially done here.  You Mr. Remark. You do not need to talk down to everyone. Because I did read all the feeds, I see how you treat people on here. It's really bad and you have no right to you are not better or smarter than anyone else, it is super clear that you bark at people with no real desire to help anyone you berate them talk to us like we are idiots who don't pay any attention. If you believed what you're saying you would post your response to the "correct" feed. I'm done being treated like this. I'm out of here. Find someone else to emotionally abuse. 

What?  OK... I'm sorry you feel that way.  I only pointed out two things: 1) maintaining the continuity of a thread and 2) the timeliness of an answer.  No disrespect was meant at any time.  That said, I do hope you find the help you are looking for and that you do well in your future endeavors. 

FYI - As far as I know this is the only AutoCAD forum where Penn-Foster students, enrolled in the AutoCAD course of instruction, can obtain answers (both text and images) to their questions.  Even if one posts at the AutoDesk AutoCAD Forum you will most likely be directed back to CADTutor.  

Edited by ReMark