Disabling new drawing at startup

Siberian

okay....

that last bit confused me.

The title of thread says exactly what i want to happen, or i guess not happen. Which file is the correct file to edit?

there is no acaddoc.lsp in that dir.

also, which of the two sections of code do i insert into xxxxx.lsp? the first one or second one pefi posted?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AFitchguy07

• ReMark

• pefi

• MSasu

The acaddoc.lsp file is a user file - if doesn’t exist you should create it (it is a simple, text, file). More information here.

Regards,

Just out of curiosity. Why does it annoy you so much that a new drawing opens up at start up of AutoCad?

also, which of the two sections of code do i insert into xxxxx.lsp? the first one or second one pefi posted?

Are two different approaches, but the effect is the exactly the same; probably that first one will be faster (but with a negligible amount of time).

Regards,

Just out of curiosity. Why does it annoy you so much that a new drawing opens up at start up of AutoCad?

because then i have to waste about 3 seconds of my life to close it and then reopen the one i want to work on opposed to just opening the one i want to work on. :roll:

Hope you are aware that opening an existing drawing will automatically the close the start-up one...

Regards,

because then i have to waste about 3 seconds of my life to close it and then reopen the one i want to work on opposed to just opening the one i want to work on. :roll:

I just wondered about this. I have a new drawing open when I start Cad. Never bothers me because I'm ready to draw something new when I have to. But, I see your point. You go and close the new drawing every time. Then I did a little test. I opened an existing drawing also. I exited out of it and did not see the new drawing there anymore, so if you don't save as, it's basically a non drawing. So, you don't have to waste time closing two drawings when you leave Acad.

My point here is, let the new file open. Just do open for your existing drawing without closing the file that automatically opens, wasting 3 seconds each time when you start cad. Simple as that.

To each his own, and you certainly should have it your way, because you have to work with that setup.

Hope you are aware that opening an existing drawing will automatically the close the start-up one...

Regards,

Masasu, you beat me to it, in a shorter post. Read my book above. I ramble on sometimes getting a point across. :D

yes but i don't keep all 100 million of them on my desktop, like my acad icon is. But i do get what you're saying.

I just wondered about this. I have a new drawing open when I start Cad. Never bothers me because I'm ready to draw something new when I have to. But, I see your point. You go and close the new drawing every time. Then I did a little test. I opened an existing drawing also. I exited out of it and did not see the new drawing there anymore, so if you don't save as, it's basically a non drawing. So, you don't have to waste time closing two drawings when you leave Acad.

My point here is, let the new file open. Just do open for your existing drawing without closing the file that automatically opens, wasting 3 seconds each time when you start cad. Simple as that.

To each his own, and you certainly should have it your way, because you have to work with that setup.

if i understand what you're saying correctly, then the new drawing that initially opens at launch will still be there, just not focused. i opened acad... boom, new dwg automatically. then, i open a dwg i prev worked on and it opens, but if you minimize that opened dwg, there sits the initial drawing1.dwg.

anyways, i tried the first script that was posted in first page, and this happened (it froze the app and ribbon never loaded - tsk mgr to close):

e97uo0.jpg

---

So i then just deleted the acaddoc.lsp and then reopened acad to see my ribbon is now gone. all i see is the red A or application center or what ever it is now called these days :(

How about...

(if (and (eq (getvar 'dwgname) "Drawing1.dwg")
        (zerop (getvar 'sdi))
   )
 (progn (command "_.close")
        (or (zerop (getvar 'dbmod)) (command "_Y"))
 )
)

How about...

(if (and (eq (getvar 'dwgname) "Drawing1.dwg")
        (zerop (getvar 'sdi))
   )
 (progn (command "_.close")
        (or (zerop (getvar 'dbmod)) (command "_Y"))
 )
)

only thing that happened differently than before was that it didn't open full screen. It opened just enough to house the Welcome Screen. Completely frozen. I had to, again, close it via tsk mgr.

I will suffice with it prompting me to what to open at app launch via STARTUP command if i can get my ribbon back....

only thing that happened differently than before was that it didn't open full screen. It opened just enough to house the Welcome Screen. Completely frozen. I had to, again, close it via tsk mgr.

I will suffice with it prompting me to what to open at app launch via STARTUP command if i can get my ribbon back....

How odd, I tested it and it worked just as you would want. Not sure why Drawing1 is such an issue, but to each his own.

I don't fully understand what you are saying your problem is, but I"ll be more than happy to help.

How odd, I tested it and it worked just as you would want. Not sure why Drawing1 is such an issue, but to each his own.

I don't fully understand what you are saying your problem is, but I"ll be more than happy to help.

i ran all 3 codes presented in this thread 2 from the other person, and one from you. the first one locked up autocad just as yours did. the second one on page 2 i believe it was did nothing visually that i noticed.

Now i delete acaddoc.lsp and open autocad and this is what i see:

w20d2a.jpg

---

ribbon gone.

i am using 2011 btw as you can see in my details, but i figured it was all the same since 2000.

Did you try typing the word RIBBON at the command line?

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to go messing with things that are mere gnats on the rump of an elephant.

Did you try typing the word RIBBON at the command line?

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to go messing with things that are mere gnats on the rump of an elephant.

what i actually did was switch to 3d then back to 2d and it appeared back. I closed and re launched it and it was still there.

I would love other people to attempt these scripts on acad 2011 as i have and see if they get the same compilations that i have ran into.

For the mean time, i will settle with the STARTUP @ value of 1 as someone had suggested. That works out nicely because that saves me a half a second by not going up to the red A to open a new/existing document. Every half a second counts... i'm getting old.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

How about a hardware upgrade? I hear the 16 core computers are smokin'!

i will stick with my core 2 duo. she runs like a champ.

...unless you'd like to fund a new i7 or i5 and new mobo to support those sockets for my desktop :)

i'll be replacing my old mbp with the new mbp 15" i5 in a few weeks. I'm excited.

if i understand what you're saying correctly, then the new drawing that initially opens at launch will still be there, just not focused. i opened acad... boom, new dwg automatically. then, i open a dwg i prev worked on and it opens, but if you minimize that opened dwg, there sits the initial drawing1.dwg.

e97uo0.jpg

---

For the record, what I and msasu are saying is forget about the initial dwg that comes up. Just ignor it and open your existing file. Unless you "save as" with that initial Drawing 1, it doesn't exist.

Msasu just said it in a shorter way. But good luck with the lisp routine anyway.:)

P.S., I'm using 2009LT and when I end out of an existing drawing, that start-up drawing isn't there.