Lock Layerstates on Viewport

aaron_mky

Hello,

I am currently using AutoCAD LT 2022 and I am trying to apply a layer state to a viewport on layout.

For example, I want to apply a "floor finishes" layer state on a viewport, but when I go back to model page to work on a different layer state, it changes those settings on that viewport I just worked on.

This is quite frustrating because I have created several layer states to produce a number of drawings, but the viewport just keeps showing what I am viewing on model space.

Hope the above makes sense!

Thanks again!

Hi f700es, thanks for the link. I followed the instructions (best as i could!) but i am sitll experiencing the same problem.

I have uploaded a vid to show you the issue. As you can see, when I select the layer state in VP to show the hatching, I then return back to model view and select a different layer state to view which also affected the viewport I just worked on. Is there anyway I can lock that layer state (showing the hatching) on that VP.

Sorry that it didn't help. I don't use layer states that much and so far never in a viewport. What does your layer states manager window look like? Maybe a setting there?

lsm.thumb.jpg.f8772aa59c8449f3340cd118f8e0419f.jpg

8 hours ago, aaron_mky said:

I am currently using AutoCAD LT 2022 and I am trying to apply a layer state to a viewport on layout.

For example, I want to apply a "floor finishes" layer state on a viewport, but when I go back to model page to work on a different layer state, it changes those settings on that viewport I just worked on.

This is quite frustrating because I have created several layer states to produce a number of drawings, but the viewport just keeps showing what I am viewing on model space.

There are no viewport overrides on the Model tab! Any layer you freeze on the Model tab is frozen everywhere. That's how it's supposed to work. If you freeze (Not VPfreeze) a layer in a viewport it would be frozen everywhere in the drawing as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aaron_mky said:

@tombu so how come this user was able to do different layer states on two different viewports?

You can create as many layer states as you need. If you have two viewports in your layout, you can create a layer state for each one to display different layers in each viewport. But, if you go into model space and start freezing layers, as tombu mentioned, that will affect your viewport display when you go back to your layout and those layers that you froze in model space will no longer be visible in your viewports. I believe this is the problem you are describing. Once you create your layer states, it's best to leave model space alone. Just work inside your viewports.

• Like 4

I have never used LT, so not sure, but in Vanilla Autocad I use the VIEW command to do this.

The View Manager Dialog Box will open.

Double click inside a particular viewport for which you want to do it.

Select NEW  >  Create a Name  >

Confirm that Save a Layer Snapshot is checked

Click OK to exit the dialog box.

image.thumb.png.39453228334faa8479ed9467cdad80bd.png

Later if you are inside an Active viewport you can use the VIEW command to reaccess that list.

Choose the Name that you want to restore, and   SET CURRENT  >

OK  >

On the Layer States Manager you will need to highlight by selectine the View you want to see  >

RESTORE  by hitting that option at the bottom of the dialog box.

13 hours ago, aaron_mky said:

@tombu so how come this user was able to do different layer states on two different viewports? 

They're called Viewport Overrides because they only work on viewports.

While in a viewport you can use Viewport Overrides to modify layers using commands like LAYFRZ (Command) which by default will Vpfreeze just in that viewport but can be set to actually freeze the layer as well. While in a viewport look at the Layer Properties Manager and it displays layer properties you can modify anywhere but has these extra viewport override properties which are only visible in a viewport:

VP Freeze (available only from a layout tab) 

Freezes selected layers only in the current layout viewport. If a layer is already frozen or turned off in the drawing, you can't thaw the layer in the current layout viewport.

VP Color (available only from a layout tab) 

Sets an override for the color associated with the selected layer for the current layout viewport.

VP Linetype (available only from a layout tab)

Sets an override for the linetype associated with the selected layer for the current layout viewport.

VP Lineweight (available only from a layout tab)

Sets an override for the lineweight associated with the selected layer for the current layout viewport.

VP Transparency (available only from a layout tab)

Sets an override for transparency associated with the selected layer for the current layout viewport.

VP Plot Style (available only from a layout tab)

Sets an override for the plot style associated with the selected layer for the current layout viewport. Override settings are not visible in the viewport or plotted when the visual style in the drawing is set to Conceptual or Realistic. For color-dependent plot styles (the PSTYLEPOLICY system variable is set to 1), you cannot set a plot style override.

You can apply a Layer State that changes the Layer States for the entire drawing or just for a viewport both of which I use often.

But remember the difference between frozen in a viewport which only affects that viewport and actually freezing a layer like on the Model tab which freezes it everywhere including every viewport in the drawing.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 12:42 AM, Cad64 said:

You can create as many layer states as you need. If you have two viewports in your layout, you can create a layer state for each one to display different layers in each viewport. But, if you go into model space and start freezing layers, as tombu mentioned, that will affect your viewport display when you go back to your layout and those layers that you froze in model space will no longer be visible in your viewports. I believe this is the problem you are describing. Once you create your layer states, it's best to leave model space alone. Just work inside your viewports.

Thanks Cad64

What you said makes perfectly sense. When you mention about working inside my viewports. I assume you mean double clicking the viewport which takes you into Model Space of that particular viewport, which is good practice?

1 hour ago, aaron_mky said:

When you mention about working inside my viewports. I assume you mean double clicking the viewport which takes you into Model Space of that particular viewport, which is good practice?

Yes, double click inside the viewport to make it active and then work on your drawing there. As for good practice, I do most of my work inside the viewports, but someone else might do most of their work in model space. It really depends on what you're working on.

• Like 2