ole from excel with datalink- won't give the cell range i want

I want to bring an excel table into my autocad drawing (using autocad 2020), and to do it as a linked ole object. this works, BUT, no matter what I do, I always get the same cell range appearing as the ole object, about 10 columns and 10 rows. the cell range that i want is 4 columns and 31 rows, all with a few numbers, a small file, not too heavy.  i've tried paste special, naming the cell range in excel, saving as xls instead of other excel formats, making sure that all other cells in the spreadsheet are empty- nothing makes a difference.  any ideas? thanks!

• sylvia b changed the title to ole from excel with datalink- won't give the cell range i want

9 hours ago, SLW210 said:

I avoid those situations by using Datalinks and AutoCAD Tables.

i agree that your way is much more straightforward. i chose ole object bc 1- it maintains the format of my excel table- colors, borders, etc.

and 2- the excel that i work with is not an english interface, and autocad does weird things to my columns, inserting them in mirror image (which can't be flipped with MI). i probably could design my excel table in mirror image if i needed to, but ole object seemed like a better choice. but it does seem tricky...

i'm not posting my files bc they're on my office computer.

i had success today using paste special, but i can't figure out what i was doing wrong in the past. i also haven't always been successful getting the datalink to update, again, not sure why sometimes this works and other times it doesn't.

9 hours ago, SLW210 said:

i had checked out that post, thanks. it suggests:

'To edit rows or columns range:

Command_OLELINKS_change source_range is found on bottom of "change source" box. This can also be done using datalinks & AutoCad Styles.'

i didn't find this command in my autocad 2020, and figured that perhaps things have changed in this regard since the original post in 2013. the other suggestion they made, of buying a 3rd party add-on, seemed like a last resort if i really couldn't get the cell range i wanted. luckily the instructions from the forum worked!  thanks