Drawing 2D On Top Of 3D ???

vertical horizons

Is it standard practice to draw 2D on top of your 3D IDW?

I am curious because I worked for a company that instructed the drafters to do this for every IDW. They said to go into "sketch mode", then do your 2D drawings.

You depicted all holes & steel by drawing (in 2D) on top of the 3D.

I have never done this (before THIS company).

Once, as I was creating the 3D model to illustrate the Rebar Layout, one of the other drafters saw what I was doing, and said, "Hey, everybody. He's actually drawing it in 3D."

(Well, I am a 3D drafter, and I was hired to be a 3D drafter.)

They were expecting me to go out to the shop, get the measurements, then go back inside the office to "sketch" the rebar layout. 

It's as if, at one point, they didn't know any better, & someone did this 2D thing, & that's the way it's been ever since.

Maybe I'm wrong  

It just seems like if you have the 3D capabilities, & it can be done in 3D, you don't go back to 2D.

Opinions?

Edited by vertical horizons

I would find a new company ASAP, unless they paid an exceptional salary!

I use 3D all of the time in AutoCAD, I have used Inventor, Pro E and Solidworks some as well and always did 3D.

• Agree 1

I have been modeling, using Solidworks & Inventor since 2010/2011.

I received my certication in Solidworks (CSWA) in 2014.

When I informed that company that drawing 2D ON TOP of 3D was wrong, they got a little pissed, & said just do it the way we told you.

Even though all of their products are "concrete" products, it's still BAD drafting.

Seems like they are clueless on how the software has advanced over the years. and are stuck in "Well this is the way I have always done it" mode. Have a few of those at my company have to bend over backwards to accommodate "senior" members because they refuse to do things a new way. Long shot but maybe show/explain how you can generate 2d drawings from the 3d model. how things update automatically so errors don't accrue.

mhupp,

Great suggestion 

However, I am not working there anymore. 👍 

You can beat a dead horse again & again, but you'll still get the same results. 

It's the same situation at that company. 

You can explain to them that the way that they are doing things is wrong, but they will continue to do it the wrong way EVERY time. 

The client only sees the end result.

He doesn't have a clue that the company is continually doing it wrong.

He won't care about that.

Just as long as he receives his "deliverables" on time, and that the drawings correctly depict the product & its dimensions. (The client does not care that the drafters did not use correct drafting procedures.)

Sad, but true.

Edited by vertical horizons
  • Agree 1