...before I launch my PC out the window - hatch issues

themanonthebus

I'm running AutoCAD 2019 on a PC & have also edited work using a Macbook with 2020 - however I don't believe this ti be the cause.

I'm a landscape architect & most of my work is larger scale 2D plans integrating Xrefs, polylines, shapes & hatches. On the face of it nothing too complex. I've spent a day & a half reading, watching YouTubes, unloading software, re-loading  & testing on earlier saved models.

Everything was running smoothly until I noticed that polylines were being drawn but once completed (closed) instead of having a tab on each point & a vertex in the centre I was getting random arrangements of tabs & vertex - the shape was accurate but I couldn't edit by dragging the positioned vertexes, I couldn't 'add vertexes' & they were impossible to offset either in or out, despite the preview showing correctly.

When I started to apply hatches to the polylines, even simple test squares & circles I'm not getting the error messages that I have had previously & managed to fix, but I can only apply hatches with high spacing values, typically 600 - 800 & the angle of rotation can be applied but on the cross pattern for example, the vertical elements of the hatch are visible but is drops the horizontal, & on further rotation the entire hatch drops out. Where I open an earlier drawing with a denser hatch, if I try editing the hatch it will only take on lower density properties.

All my drawings are set to metric dimensions, all the hatches are from the default library. XREFs etc detached.

I've tried loads of different commands (purged, moved origin, to try & find a reset but hit me with some more options before I launch my beautiful PC out the window together with my client list & career??!!

Thanks in advance.

2011827333_22-07-22Help.dwg

If you do a zoom extents you find a strange hatch way off in space, deleting that and zooming extents again. Improved the drawings responsivness (for me) but I did see the strange polyline behaviour of missing vertex grips. I did a copy all and pasted it into a new drawing and that fixed those issues. I think the problem is that huge hatch in the outer limits of space. But only you could know how that might have happened.

Also, your drawing is extremely far away from the origin. Are you tied to this location due to survey data? If not, try moving everything to X0,Y0. This is true with most programs. The farther you get away from the origin, the more weird things start happening.

Steve - thanks, really helpful pointers.

Offset now resolved but hatch scales still not playing ball...

We worked at like real world co-ords 578123,268123 when you create a hatch make sure you also set the hatch origin pt, this fixed problems like hatch pattern being weird. Sounds like your issue.