...layer state manager query

themanonthebus

Thanks all for recent help!

I'm a landscape architect & develop larger scale 2D models on AutoCAD 2019 - lots of xrefs, text, polylines & hatches on around 50 layers. Typically my outputs are series of A1 paperspace tabs/drawings using the same xref-ed base layer, then for example developing; 1) a masterplan, 2) hard landscape strategy, 3) soft landscape strategy & 4) level details.

Using this example, I would normally generate 4 paper space tabs 01, 02, 03 & 04 & then in model space, turn the appropriate layers on or off to create the appropriate drawing. Once everything is set up for 01 in model space I go to 'Layer States Manage', create a new layer eg 01 Masterplan & save. I do the same for 03, 03 & 04 so they all have their separate layers turned on & off. If I make edit or make amendments I 'update' in LSM. Once everything is set, I print to PDF from the paperspace.

Is there a faster way of doing this where I'm not having to shuttle between model & paper space, ie is there a way to assign layers to be on/off in a particular viewport in paperpsace, so I dont have to remember to re-save each time as I shuttle between the different spaces?

Hope that makes sense!!

In a viewport you use VPLAYER, viewport layer.

Just go to the layer display and scroll across to the right and you will see viewport settings for layers you can freeze a layer Vpfreeze even change its color. So turn on all layers in model and use the freeze option, a manual way is VPLAYER. 

image.thumb.png.b4a173f86f0238380a3262a91dba4457.png

Edited by BIGAL
  • Like 1

Create and save your LAYER SNAPSHOTS through each of your

ACTIVE VIEWPORTS, one at a time,  instead of in MODELSPACE.

Edited by Dadgad
clarification
  • Agree 1

Just to clarify, BigAl's suggestion is good for setting up a particular viewport. You can turn layers on and off in that viewport only, even change the color and linetype for a layer, without affecting those properties anywhere else. Those settings will remain that way until you change them again.

What DagDad is suggesting, I believe, is to save your layer states for each sheet so that you can duplicate them in another project. When you open the Layer States Manager window, you have the option to save the layer state of the active window (model space, paper space, or any viewport) as an independent file. You can then import that file into another drawing without having to redefine the layer state from scratch. Another option is to create a drawing template that already has the layer state defined for each layout, so you skip over all those steps for setting up a project and get straight to work.

If this doesn't clarify the issue, OP, let me know. Also tell me if I misunderstood your comments, BigAl and DagDad.

• Like 2