AutoCAD Addon

CAD_Noob

Do you guys know any AutoCAD Addon that doesn't require installation?

The one that you can just copy to the "Application Plugins" folder?

Most of the commercial add ons do just that and copy to "App plugins" you can make your own "BUNDLE" and copy it direct to App plugins but can not see any real advantage over a "Install" proceedure. I have started using a lisp install for my clients that auto unzips to correct directory which could be a BUNDLE.

On 8/27/2022 at 8:00 AM, BIGAL said:

Most of the commercial add ons do just that and copy to "App plugins" you can make your own "BUNDLE" and copy it direct to App plugins but can not see any real advantage over a "Install" proceedure. I have started using a lisp install for my clients that auto unzips to correct directory which could be a BUNDLE.

Majority of Addon in Autodesk store requires installation. 

5 hours ago, SLW210 said:

AFAIK, they all require to be installed.

What exactly is the issue you are having?

IT restrictions. for example the Batch Purge is very useful to us but our IT is very strict and is not allowing us to install addons

3 hours ago, CAD_Noob said:

IT restrictions. for example the Batch Purge is very useful to us but our IT is very strict and is not allowing us to install addons

Its probably to keep all computers the "same" when you start manage large number of computers consistency is key. That and some people shouldn't be allowed to operate computers. literately had some make me walk across the building (10 mins) because their monitor was broken. I asked them 5 times are you sure its on/plugged in.

"Yes I checked I'm not an idiot"

Showed them the windows and arrows keys shortcut to move the application to the working monitor so they could keep working. show up and yes it was unplugged. witch was followed up buy "oh i thought you meant the VGA cable"

Yeah been down that "Is it plugged in repeatedly" "Oh its popped out at the back"

Where I worked last had like 1000 pc's but IT and I came to an agreement that they would talk to me about acad installs, often I would hold the IT guys hand while he/she installed the software. Acads were like 30 pc's and I agreed as 1st response to Cad questions not Pc problems. 

I had to go to IT to install new CAD software, we did not have say random lisps from say Cadtutor installed by random user, rather they would ask IT and they generally asked me to have a look at it and do install. Our 3rd part Civil software had to be installed by IT as it changed things that IT had locked . They would unlock for say 5 days so could do install.

OK so all our group had read write access to the server under our drive designation so could save external or in house lisps. Which I normally did.

So talk to your manager / supervisor explain the benefits like 4 hrs is now 2 mins max, then get the manager to go to IT and request install.

Edited by BIGAL

I have found a "workaround" for this :)

I installed the addon on my personal computer at home.

I then copy the contents of the Application Plugins from my personal computer to my office computer and voila! the Addons that I needed worked in my office computer! 🤣🤣🤣

But I think the versions of the AutoCAD must be the same for this trick to work.