Insert Annotative Blocks INSUNITS etc

I can't seem to wrap my head around what exactly INSUNITSDEFSOURCE and INSUNITSDEFTARGET do. I think I need a diagram or something. 

I have blocks that are annotative (tags etc). I draw them in imperial inches and they are annotative scale for the different drawing scales. When I insert them into a metric (mm) drawing I have to scale them 25x. I feel like the INSUNITSDEFSOURCE INSUNITSDEFTARGET should help me somehow but I can't figure out the secret code. 

most of my blocks are set to 1, 1, 1 INSUNITS INSUNITSDEFSOURCE INSUNITSDEFTARGET in their dwg file. 

Unless INSUNITS is set to zero, those other variables never come into play.

When you copy from a drawing with INSUNITS set to 1, every unit is treated as an inch. When you copy into a drawing with INSUNITS set to 4, those inches turn into millimeters. The block is still "the same size" (air quotes), it's just being drawn with different units.

If this happens a lot, it might be worthwhile to change INSUNITS to zero and change INSUNITSDEFSOURCE to 4. That way the block is in millimeters when you copy it out, so it should drop seamlessly into the metric drawing. Note that INSUNITSDEFSOURCE is a registry variable, not a drawing variable.

• 2 weeks later...

i go years where things are mostly fine and then back to this and so confused. below is image of metric drawing. both the screw and the nail .dwg files have INSUNITS, INSUNITSDEFSOURCE, INSUNITSDEFTARGET = 1
the nail comes in fine scaled and the stretch parameter works. The screw is too big and the stretch should be at the end of the screw. changing some variables the screw comes in at proper scale, but stretch is still wrong

image.png.5577b83fe2790124faa50778d47d392e.png

You may want to go to original dwg and double check everything there regarding units is set matcjing destination dwg.

Also check Aecdwgsetup in both dwgs there is a setting about rescaling blocks, yes have had problems of rescale  = 1/0.3048

Edited by BIGAL

• 5 months later...

I'm back because I'm still stuck on this. "STEEL-HSS_Baseplate" works fine, the grips are where they should be. "STEEL-Steel Stud" doesn't work, the grips are in the wrong spot. 
both blocks are drawn in Inches. INSUNITS on both is 1 (or can be 0 with the same result)
both have the same Properties in the second image
I've attached both files. 

Stumped on this one

I just quickly recreated a block from scratch and it seems to work, but I'd really like to not recreate 1/4 of my blocks with what seems to be a glitch (3rd image)

image.png.02951f42264951004bf0d8dc2618fb1d.png
image.png.204f47baaeb57543e6284869039bd463.png

image.png.c9ad7ce05fa2d044cd8a378d0e125c2b.png

STEEL-Steel Stud.dwg STEEL-HSS_Baseplate.dwg