• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davenutron

• Cad64

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I mentioned previously in another thread, please post all your Blender questions in the Design Software section. Don't post them in the Autocad sections.

I have moved this question to the Design Software section.

As for your question, I'm not sure what you're trying to do. Are you talking about using the Grease Pencil to draw?

In order to give you the proper advice, I would need to know what you're trying to create. There's always more than one way to do everything, so, if you can describe what you're trying to achieve, I can tailor my instructions to provide the best option to get it done.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you need to enable the "Extra Objects" in Preferences. Some functionality is not enabled by default when you install Blender.

Go to the "Edit" menu and click "Preferences"

In the Preferences window, go to the "Add-ons" section

Type "Curve" into the Search Box

Enable the "Add Curve: Extra Objects" option

Curve Options.jpg

thats amazing you can help me with this thank you, I now selected curve unfortunatly nothing happens when I left click to use it, any idea what im doing wrong

When you go to "Add" "Curve" "Arc" it should drop a curve object into your scene somewhere around the X, Y, Z origin. If you have other objects in the scene, it might be underneath something, so you will need to look around.

I found what the arc is, but its verticies I need a solid line also the verticies are not a complete arc shape as in the stop before they make a quarter circle, also I tried circle and it produced a square shaped verticies. Please take a look at what I mean

arc 2 cad forums.png

Edited by davenutron

Well,  Blender is a polygon modeling program, not a CAD program, so you're not going to get the same type of arc that you would get in Autocad. But, you do have some options.

After you create the arc, look down at the bottom left corner of your screen and you will see a little closed menu named "Simple Curve". Click on it and it will expand and you will see all the options you have available.

You will see that the "Output Curve Type" is set to Bezier by default. Change that to Nurbs.

Also, you will see that the "End Angle" is set to 45 degrees. Change that to 90 degrees in order to get a full quarter arc.

Curve Options 2.jpg

thats very interesting stuff and very well put. I have now an arc. I am struggling with moving it I select move command and click on one of the arrows respective the axis. which moves the arrows but not the arc then the arrows move back once I let go. Any idea how to possition the arc?

My first thought is maybe you have snap turned on? Look at the top middle of your screen. There is a little button up there with a magnet on it. If the button is blue, snap is on. Click the button to turn it off.

snap is off, interestingly the arc moves across and back and forth but not up and down any more clues? The arc is placed onto the grid maybe I need 3d move?

Edited by davenutron

No, I have no idea why this is happening. It sounds like your movement is restricted to the X,Y plane for some reason, but I don't know why.

You're in Object mode, with your arc selected and your Move Transform gizmo looks like mine below, right? With the red, green and blue arrows?

Move Gizmo.jpg

I did have the move arrows earier today but it might have been the arrows from the world that I was selecting.  I cannot select the arc now in edit mode or object mode also arcs cannot be produced anymore even though I have ''Add Curve: Extra Objects'' selected.

arc not working cad forums.png

17 hours ago, davenutron said:

sorry about the wrong forum I have noted it. I am trying to display a door swing so its quite simple thanks for your help

Who puts door swings in 3D drawings?

2 hours ago, davenutron said:

I cannot select the arc now in edit mode or object mode also arcs cannot be produced anymore even though I have ''Add Curve: Extra Objects'' selected.

That's because you have an object selected and you're in Edit mode. You can't create an arc, or select other objects when you're editing a current object. Switch to Object mode and then you will be able to select another object or create an arc.

In the first image below, you can see that I have a cube selected and I'm in Edit mode, so I can't create an arc

In the second image, I have switched to Object mode and I can now create an arc.

No Arc.jpg

Yes Arc.jpg

I have it all working now no idea what was going on I have mirrored my arc and I want to delete 1 of the arcs but both are being deleted when I only select 1 arc. see picture. So the question is how to seperate arcs

How did you mirror the object?

In the image below, If you go to "Object" "Mirror" and then select either "Global" or "Local", that will mirror your object and delete the original.

If you used a Mirror Modifier, You will have to convert the arc to a mesh, in order to remove the modifier. Then you will have to go into Edit Mode and window select the half of the arc you don't want and delete it. But this is going to leave you with an arc that has about 100 vertices which is not good.

I would recommend that you Undo the mirror operation and then use the method in the image below.

Mirror.jpg