Is AutoCAD 2023 Better For This Type Of 3D Modeling?

JohaKDesigns

Hello. I'm a student trying to learn Rhino but I am finding the User Interface very difficult to learn.

I want to CAD model rounded stuff similar to what I see here:

https://fastvawt.blogspot.com/2023/01/worlds-first-patented-high-rpm.html?m=0

Screenshot_20230113-210234_Drive.thumb.jpg.ea843d04a91d7ca38b694dadf35e6941.jpg

I have been told that AutoCad has gotten better for 3D modeling recently.

Should I try AutoCAD for stuff like this?

Is it easier to learn than Rhino which I find really difficult to use?

Thanks!

If you have access to Autocad then by all means, give it a try. I personally don't like doing 3D work in Autocad though. I've never used Rhino but I have used other similar programs like Fusion360 which I found to be easier and more flexible than Autocad. That's just my opinion though. Working with 3D programs is all about finding the one that works best for you, so I always recommend trying different programs and see which one you like best. But having said that, all programs are going to have a learning curve. They will all be difficult at first, until you get used to the interface and how the tools work, so I wouldn't give up on Rhino just yet. If you keep watching tutorials and practicing it will start getting easier.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Basically, AutoCAD is widely famous as a 2D drafting tool due to its mastery of 2D modeling. It does not mean that we can not use this tool for 3D modeling. AutoCAD has some standard 3D modeling tools which are used to create different complex 3D models.

I see no reason why you couldn't use AutoCAD to create a 3D model of the objects depicted in your attached image.  I used AutoCAD to create 3D models for a specialty chemical company and had no problems.  The models included tanks, pumps, work platforms, valves, piping, steel work, etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Second the notion of finding what works for you... but I'd also say that this requires you to spend some time in at least one platform, if not several.  What you showed could be created in ACAD fairly easily, but sometimes things that are easy once you know them aren't obvious at the outset.  

• 7 months later...

AutoCAD 2023 is not the best tool for 3D modeling complex organic shapes like the tubes in the image you provided.

AutoCAD is a powerful 2D drafting and design software, but it is not primarily designed for 3D modeling. It has some 3D modeling capabilities, but they are not as robust or user-friendly as those found in dedicated 3D modeling software.

For example, AutoCAD does not have native support for NURBS (Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines), which is a type of curve that is commonly used to model organic shapes. NURBS curves are much more flexible and powerful than the traditional Bezier curves that are used in AutoCAD.

Additionally, AutoCAD's 3D modeling tools can be difficult to use, especially for beginners. There are many different commands and options to learn, and it can be time-consuming to create complex 3D models.

There are a number of dedicated 3D modeling software packages that are better suited for creating complex organic shapes like the tubes in the image you provided. Some popular options include:

• Autodesk Maya
  • Blender
  • SolidWorks
  • Rhino 3D

These software packages offer a variety of tools and features that make it easier to create complex 3D models, such as:

• Native support for NURBS curves
  • Intuitive and user-friendly interfaces
  • Powerful sculpting and deformation tools
  • Advanced rendering capabilities

If you are serious about 3D modeling, I recommend investing in a dedicated 3D modeling software package. You will find that it is much easier and faster to create complex 3D models with these tools.

@steinryan28 Please note that AutoCAD does support NURBS.  By default the spline command creates a degree 3 B-spline (not a Bezier spline).  If the weights on control vertices are set to a value other than 1 the spline can be categorized as a NURBS.  For more about AutoCAD splines and surfaces you might find this link of interest.

https://lispexpert.blogspot.com/p/chapter-20-procedural-and-nurbs-surfaces.html

Whether or not AutoCAD is the best choice for the OP is probably a moot point as the original post is from January and I guess a decision has been made.