Revit Command Line

Steven P

Good Morning, 

This is something I have been resisting for a while but a client is wanting all drawings to be sent in Revit (when I say client.. I suspect our project manager and will want to convert all Revit models to CAD at the end of the project... they go very quiet when I ask about formatting the client wants as a deliverable....)

Revit isn't my thing.

So line drawings - I get that you need to draw them in Drafting view, and that different views have different commands available, but is there a command line or similar, like in CAD where I can type in the command I want instead of trying to work out which tab the button I want to use is?

(Single line drawings, 2d, perhaps don't need the complexities of software designed to draw 3d stuff)

(I maybe old fashioned but I'd like the Revit interface to be more like AutoCAD)

... there may be more questions later as I get round to using it

Revit is a modeling tool, not a drafting tool. I would get a clear understanding of what the expected deliverable is. Drafting views in Revit is meant for things like Typical Details only and nothing more. The Revit project file would need to have all native content in full 3D to be considered an acceptable deliverable. To be perfectly straight with you, by the sound of your inquiry, you are probably not in a position to provide this level of deliverable as the Revit platform is different in all ways imaginable than AutoCAD in the approach of starting and finishing a project. I'm happy to guide you along regardless so let me know if this would be helpful to your situation.

-TZ

Yup, I get the modelling aspect of it, it isn't something I have needed to do / have avoided doing - there are others in the company who are do that for us. Drawing walls and building details in 3d looks quite easy - it is after all what Revit was designed to do.

My next use of Revit will be drafting views and things like line diagrams - the project managers are insisting to use 3d software to draw 2d things.... so what I want is to make the transition between software packages as easy as I can - and AutoCADs command line is a great productivity tool. So that was what I was looking for, rather than initially having to guess which tab to go for to get the tool I need. Realising of course a command line add on or script is probably not a thing.

Thanks Tzframpton, I'll post more questions as I need

You can grab most commands from another tab and put in a custom menu so no jumping tabs or changing workspace did this for CIV3D, had a few most used in my drafting workspace.

Using ribbon a bit more complicated than toolbars or pop menu's.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 5:42 PM, Steven P said:

Good Morning, 

This is something I have been resisting for a while but a client is wanting all drawings to be sent in Revit (when I say client.. I suspect our project manager and will want to convert all Revit models to CAD at the end of the project... they go very quiet when I ask about formatting the client wants as a deliverable....)

Revit isn't my thing.

So line drawings - I get that you need to draw them in Drafting view, and that different views have different commands available, but is there a command line or similar, like in CAD where I can type in the command I want instead of trying to work out which tab the button I want to use is?

(Single line drawings, 2d, perhaps don't need the complexities of software designed to draw 3d stuff)

(I maybe old fashioned but I'd like the Revit interface to be more like AutoCAD)

... there may be more questions later as I get round to using it

Yes you can use commands in Revit even though it doesn't have the command line.

I use similar keyboard shortcuts in AutoCAD and Revit so I don't get confused.

To  setup your keyboard shortcuts, go to File pulldown menu then Options.

Under options > User Interface, there is a keyboard Shortcuts in the Right Panel. Click "Customized" and input your desired shortcuts

image.png.2cb1d1fd7c662d9f0a2bcb3a3040876b.png

Off-topic : 

A bit off-topic but might interest you. In AutoCAD we use AutoLISP to automate our task. In Revit there;s this thing called Dynamo, a visual programming software... for me, it is easier to use than AutoLisp.. 

Edited by nod684
  • Like 2

So... I have to go through all the commands and add my own shortcuts - no built in functions? (and I guess when I change installation, computer or whatever, have to do that all again). Something to look into

Seen Dynamo, but couldn't get my head around the code when I looked at it - not a lot in there that looks like 'proper' functions, but that is just a learning thing

On 3/20/2023 at 6:11 PM, Steven P said:

So... I have to go through all the commands and add my own shortcuts - no built in functions? (and I guess when I change installation, computer or whatever, have to do that all again). Something to look into

Seen Dynamo, but couldn't get my head around the code when I looked at it - not a lot in there that looks like 'proper' functions, but that is just a learning thing

There are built in shortcuts but of course it might differ from the one you're using in AutoCAD.

https://www.autodesk.com/shortcuts/revit

You can export your shortcuts as an xml file... so when you change your computer, just import that again 

image.png.ca6249158192dbf30522ed07f81b0395.png

Edited by nod684
  • Like 2

On 3/2/2023 at 3:09 AM, Steven P said:

Yup, I get the modelling aspect of it, it isn't something I have needed to do / have avoided doing - there are others in the company who are do that for us. Drawing walls and building details in 3d looks quite easy - it is after all what Revit was designed to do.

My next use of Revit will be drafting views and things like line diagrams - the project managers are insisting to use 3d software to draw 2d things.... so what I want is to make the transition between software packages as easy as I can - and AutoCADs command line is a great productivity tool. So that was what I was looking for, rather than initially having to guess which tab to go for to get the tool I need. Realising of course a command line add on or script is probably not a thing.

Thanks Tzframpton, I'll post more questions as I need

Apologies on my response, I see now that I was way off base in what you were requesting. Seems like the others have already helped you out so you're good to go. 

On a side note, coming from an AutoCAD background myself and was a "keyboard ninja", I did plug in some of my keyboard commands from AutoCAD and they're still my commands today in Revit. Move, Copy, Mirror, Dimension and a few others. So I definitely know where you're coming from. I would recommend keeping it to a minimum though... let the program work in it's native form. You can go overboard with this pretty easily, so keep your "non-negotiable" commands that are so ingrained into your brain it cannot be anything different, haha. That's what I settled on. :) 

On 3/22/2023 at 5:21 PM, Steven P said:

Thanks, the PDFs in th elink might be what I am looking for a bit

you're welcome :)

• Like 1