Copy Block from another drawing without running another instance of AutoCAD. [.NET]

Kevin Malone

I'm trying to create a custom plugin for AutoCAD C3D that will help me in some of my daily routines. I'm ok in C#, so I have chosen .NET API. 

My idea was to have template dwg with all my styles, blocks, linetypes, layers and others, and when I need some of them  to simply copy them into my active document. I have created a function to copy block by name from my template dwg and it works, but I don't like that it opens this template drawing (I know I can close it programmatically). I used Application.DocumentManager.Open() and Database..ReadDwgFile(), and in both cases it opens dwg. Is it possible to get objects from another drawing database silently, and then copy them to active document?

Have a look at Lee-mac.com,  Steal.lsp can be program driven so can do just that steal a block, and much more. Just load in your code then use the program option.

It is like 2 lines of code. 

Yes, I know. I've been looking at it before posting here, it's my plan B. However, I wanted to do achieve this by using .NET

Database.ReadDwgFile() is correct, you should to construct a new database buildDefaultDrawing = false, noDocument = true before reading the file

Then you can use wblock or wblock clone into to current document’s database...  as the link SLW210 shows

SLW210, Danielm103

Thank you both for your answers, that's it. I have looked at this example and somehow overlooked these two parameters.