CAD software for minimal requirements [dwg]?

zeichner

Hello,

I am looking for a simple, inexpensive program where you can:
- merge layers to the main layer
- Select all objects and assign layer color

Any ideas?

It would help to know what you need to do. Do you want to open a DWG or just process the data? Is this for 3D printing or CNC milling? Is it for importing into some other 3D software? Once everything is on one layer, what's the point of assigning color to a layer?

There are alternatives to AutoCAD that will let you manage layers. BricsCAD and DraftSight, for instance, have a lot of functionality for much less money than AutoCAD.

We need to convert the dwg to the appropriate form and save it so that it can be further processed by an Access tool. In the end, a pdf file is generated (parts list with drawing).
We get the dwg from the design department and first have to remove margins and header information. Then the layers are combined into one and positioned appropriately.

I would like to see a tool that is either free or only requires a one-time payment.

I have already looked at QCAD as I use this myself, however, merging layers is not so straightforward.

Sorry, you're getting this drawing from another department in your own company? Can't they export a BOM to a spreadsheet and send you a PDF of their own drawing? I'm sure it's more complicated than it sounds, but the more information you can give us, the better we can advise you.

I just checked. The designers export it from ProE. Process-wise, it is more practical if the colleague who ultimately processes the dwg has this in hand herself.

On 7/13/2023 at 1:53 AM, zeichner said:

I would like to see a tool that is either free or only requires a one-time payment.

I have already looked at QCAD as I use this myself, however, merging layers is not so straightforward.

Maybe take a look at DWG Trueview. It's a free application from Autodesk that allows you to do basic operations on CAD files.

The main download button seems to be broken but if you scroll down the page to the "previous versions" section you can download the 2023 version.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/dwg-trueview/overview#previous-versions

Another option would be ZWCAD. It's not free but you can purchase perpetual licenses.

You can download the trial version here: https://www.zwsoft.com/product/zwcad

17 minutes ago, BIGAL said:

Bricscad lite supports lisp so could be programmed to speed up process.

Thank you, I will have a look. Don't know anything about lisp ... is there a tool which supports Python?

Found this Using Python scripts - BricsCAD BIM | Centrum pomocy Bricsys

Pretty sure have seen Python and plain Bricscad.

IronPython for Bricscad (theswamp.org)