Trying to extract sqft of a dynamic block to an attribute for data extraction, attribute eventually breaks showing #### instead

JoeyHall

Hello! I have been running into some issues with my dynamic blocks I have created for my works infill block library and I am beyond stumped as to how to find a stable workaround.

Running AutoCAD 2022

So I want to create an easy way for the Sq Ft of our infill blocks to be extracted via data extraction. In each of our infills I made an invisible attribute labeled *SQFT and have them pulling the area of the polyline that will represent our daylight opening. This seems to work for a while, but the issue is once these blocks get copy pasted throughout our elevation drawings I keep finding that instead of the square footage being displayed it instead reads ####.

We have found a workaround for now which is to rename the *SQFT attribute to a different name, sync the attribute, then change it back.
I hate that this attribute keeps breaking, and I usually just pull the height and width parameters and manually calculate the sqft that way in excel, but my team doesn't like doing that.

Is there a more effective way I can pull the SqFt of my blocks without needing to fix this issue all the time?

image.thumb.png.ecccb8528472f091e7390fc7513e2880.png

This is how I am creating the *SQFT attribute for each of the infills

image.png.6ab243c0b32e41eb3f86b684bc7caa53.png

*SQFT tag is updating correctly to display the polyline's area after a refresh, the issue is this method will seemingly break randomly and instead display ####

XXXX-Q400 E.dwg

• 6 months later...

For me a different approach I read the block properties in to a dcl so setting the 2 x 4 etc by inserting the block 1st then resetting the properties and setting the attribute sqft. Maybe a custom dcl as it has a mixture of dynamic properties and attributes. 

The input can be done as a 5 getvals sqft is not inputed.

(if (not AH:getvalsm)(load "Multi Getvals.lsp"))
(setq ans (AH:getvalsm (list "Enter Values" "*INFILL_TAG" 5 4 "SP1" "*INFILL_WIDTH" 5 4 "4" "*INFILL_HEIGHT" 5 4 "2" "*MODULE" 5 4 "" " *BACKPAN_TAG" 5 4 "E1")))

Multi GETVALS.lsp

image.png.c969ffe832065b14fdb5de855f2ba368.png

You need Lee-mac Dynamic block properties lisp as well for setting the block properties.

Edited by BIGAL