Overlap Structure Styles for Phases

CyberAngel

Often we build a project in stages. A manhole may be new in phase 1 and existing in phase 2.

Is there some way to show a style for a structure in one viewport and a different style for the same structure in another viewport? My only idea so far is to draw another manhole in paper space, which is awful for lots of reasons.

I'm pretty sure you can do something like this in Revit, but we don't use Revit.

You could use vplayer, a existing manhole may be shown as say light grey to mean exists where as in full color Black to show its new, our field surveys made objects color 253 as existing. New objects Black or a color. In vplayer same object can have a different color in each viewport or layout.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my solution, which I have not yet implemented, but I think it will work.

Create a block that includes the new manhole on one layer (for phase 1) and the existing manhole on another (for phase 2). Use that block in the structure style for the plan view. When it needs to be shown as new (in the phase 1 viewport), turn off the phase 2 layer, and when it needs to be existing (in the phase 2 viewport), turn off the phase 1 layer.

Having a layer for each phase also lets you show utility lines (or pipe styles) that work the same way. You can override the linetype as well as the color in a viewport.

• 3 months later...

OK, here's what I did. Create a copy of the viewport. Make sure it aligns with the first one, then adjust their borders to coincide along the phase line. Inside the second viewport, override the layer color and linetype for the existing features. Turn layers on and off as needed.