Facing challenges with File size in Architectural Design Project

steinryan28

In a complex architectural design project using AutoCAD, I'm facing challenges with optimizing my drawing file size without compromising the precision and detail of the model. 

I've already employed techniques like purging unused elements and using external references efficiently. However, I'm curious to know if there are advanced strategies or specific commands within AutoCAD that experts recommend for reducing file size while preserving intricate details in large-scale projects. 

Any insights or best practices would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

Depends on the reason for the file size.

Sometimes a file might become bloated through creating it, orphaned entities and so on, purge and audit can clear some of these but if the file is unusually large still then copy and paste into a new file (top right to bottom left select) will normally just grab what is still in the drawing. Wblock to a new drawing also does the same. (every now and then I get one, delete everything and it can still be very large, megabyte large type of thing).

If you have inserted files such as background images (we often get PDF underlays, exploded to lines but the PDF is still there) then these can be assessed and deleted where applicable.

Purge, Audit, overkill. If you have splines converted to polylines you might look at the LISP 'pdiet' (mentioned the other day in the LIPS topic threads)

Might not help individual files but xref common details in a project

Blocks - make blocks of any common details 

• Like 1

Consider using AutoCAD's "AUDIT" command to fix errors, "OVERKILL" to remove redundant geometry, and "LAYDEL" to purge unused layers. Also, explore the "REGEN" command to refresh the drawing efficiently. These advanced commands can help optimize file size while maintaining precision in complex architectural designs.