Architectural Question - Edge Plinth Beam Detailing

nicolas

Hi, 

Could anyone send me the rules for edge beam detailing.  Ths is my usual detail per my sections but I believe this is wrong for the edge beam Thanks in advance for your precious help.  Usually the ground on slab is a floating slab and should not be rigidly connected to the wall but rest on the well-compacted hard core filling.  However I have noted that compaction is rarely done and filled materials is made up of broken blocks, dried concrete and everything other thing other than choiced materials.  But I will like to know more on that subject matter and how we can get the best of two system.  thanks.

image.thumb.png.21cec1cab293b83074dafd9fe9de7b14.png

You need to talk to a structural engineer who does slab designs, can have slab on uncompacted material but the slab is designed to take that into account with a thicker slab and top and bottom reinforcement. Your edge and internal beams would have taper edges.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks. Will have to dig deeper on this.  It is so hard to find straight forward design concept through the endless variations in views and interpretation.. As far as I know the slab on grade is supposedl to be supported by the compacted hard core filling and need not be connected to the structural system of the house. Have talked this to some engineers and they told me its ok for small construction and houses but joints are needed for bigger buidings. 

Then I would follow the advice of the engineers.  I am not an engineer, but I did play one on TV once.  LOL!

• Funny 1