3d Modelling Surface to Solid query

meeksie

Hi All, 

I am having difficulties with my first 3d modelling project. I am not only limited by my CAD inexperience but also my access to software. I am using Autocad 2007 and Bricscad 2021 Lite. 

I am attempting to model a pair of dies used to make louvers in sheet metal for my personal use (building a hotrod). I would like to provide these cad files to a cnc manufacturer to make a pair of dies for me.

I have each die drawn however I was unable to draw the 'pusher' in the top die as a solid object. As it is somewhat of a complex shape I created it using the EDGESURF command.

I attempted to do it using the loft command but was unsuccessful with my level of knowledge. 

image.thumb.png.8f8692dca7cabed7a0d80eb3446c065f.png

I have since had troubles attempting to convert it to a solid as my versions of software do not appear to have the ability to convert to solid, thicken etc. At different stages I closed all faces of the pusher (created by edgesurf) however I still could not create a solid. 

I also do not have Automesher at my disposal to attempt to convert to a solid. 

I guess if anyone knows how I may either create or convert the shape to a solid without requiring new software please advise. Additionally I am not familiar with writing or utilising code to do this.

Thanks in advance. Nigel

Louvre Dies_Upper and Lower.dwg

As I recall AutoCAD 2007 did not have a covert-to-solid command nor a loft command.  I am not familiar with Briscad 2021 Lite.  Does it even possess any 3D capability?

1 hour ago, ReMark said:

As I recall AutoCAD 2007 did not have a covert-to-solid command nor a loft command.  I am not familiar with Briscad 2021 Lite.  Does it even possess any 3D capability?

Yep I did the drawing in Autocad 2007 and it does have the loft command. Unfortunately I got stuck at the point it is currently at and attempted to do some more in Bricscad Lite. Bricscad Lite does have some 3d capability.

If I can get it onto Autocad 2023 will there be a way to address my problem?

Thank you for correcting me about AutoCAD 2007.  It's been a while.  Yes, if you got your hands on a copy of AutoCAD 2023 you would have access to one or more (?) commands to convert the object from a surface to a solid.

If you look on the Bricscad web site, you will see a summary of what is in the versions of Bricscad, you probably need the PRO version, ask over at the Bricscad forum for help, or contact Bricscad support they are very helpful and do respond, ask your Bricscad dealer for help.