getting the weight in stainless steel from a 3d solid

ravihotwok

Hi everyone, im trying to obtain the weight of a 3d model, it is of a stainless steel back plate with a frame and 2 shelves.  It is modelled as it would be in real life meaning I have hollowed out the frame with a 2mm wall thickness ect.  I have union them all together and got a mass figure of 5311198.8371.  This means nowt to me, how to i find out the weight ?

Any help would be most appreciated, many thanks

My guess is that a mass figure would be calculated with the density and the volume of the object. The volume, in AutoCAD, depends on the units defined for the drawing. With the large number you report, you may be using millimeters instead of meters (or something like that). Use the UNITS command to check.

AutoCAD's implementation of units is one of its most misunderstood (and poorly implemented) features. The units of an AutoCAD model are not stored with the object.  The units command does not define the units of the model in a drawing.  What it does do is determine how a drawing inserted into the current drawing should be scaled.

image.png.1f3b0f66137a9d24fbfa4f7c0133fd70.png

Try the following, create a box 10 by 10 by 10 then give the massprop command and the volume will state 1000. Change the units to smething else and massprop will still indicate 1000.  The "mass" value shown in massprop assumes a density of 1.  To detemine the mass of a solid model multiply the volume by the mass density of the assumed material.

When you specifed dimensions and coordinates in the creation of your solid model you assumed you were using a certain unit of measure.  This is the unit that massprop is using.

all sorted now thanks all 🙂

I have created a spread sheet to calculate it all and saves a lot of messing