How to Sketch This in AutoCAD 2014?

Since you have an image, the first thing I'd do is xref it into a drawing as a model. You can't trace it and get exact results, but it does give you a guide.

Pick a point as the origin, that is, a location you can derive other points from. You may have to start over with a different origin, given the complexity of this shape. It may seem counter-intuitive, but a lot of dimensions are based on the center of the left construction circle, so you could start there.

From the origin, you can place other points. The arcs are more difficult, but the tangent/tangent/radius tool works well in these situations. You've got a couple of construction lines, so those will help. Not sure what the red dots signify.

I'm curious about the angle of the lower construction line. It's not given, and it's obviously not 3 degrees like the one that is given, and you can't independently locate either end. It's like this thing is dimensioned as obtusely as possible.

Edited by CyberAngel

15 minutes ago, CyberAngel said:

I'm curious about the angle of the lower construction line. It's not given, and it's obviously not 3 percent like the one that is given, and you can't independently locate either end. It's like this thing is dimensioned as obtusely as possible.

Yes, that's why I asked in this forum. Do you mean 3 degree?

Since you have an image, the first thing I'd do is xref it into a drawing as a model. You can't trace it and get exact results, but it does give you a guide.

What xref is?

From the origin, you can place other points. The arcs are more difficult, but the tangent/tangent/radius tool works well in these situations. You've got a couple of construction lines, so those will help. Not sure what the red dots signify.

I think it uses a 3-points arc command for the arcs. What red dots? I can't see any.

Edited by basty

As far as I can tell, there isn't enough information to draw this thing properly. The lowermost line is at an angle, but there's no way to calculate the angle or locate the endpoint.

I just wasted an hour and a half trying to draw this thing. If my boss gave me something like this, with so little to go on, I'd be looking for another job.

It boggles my mind that there are instructors out there who think this is a good way to learn drafting.

• 5 weeks later...

This is really an interesting puzzle. I have not learnt Auto cad a lot. I am used to the old style for my drawing. I draft anything and there after I use Cad for final  out put. I learnt that much by myself. I use Auto cad 2007 which is out dated now. What I see here is you have to study it first carefully. I do not know whether my drawing is correct or wrong. Anyhow it brushed up my mind to a certain extent. Your full concentration is required for this. I found the small circle in the middle R130 to start with since it guide to many parts to complete. You can do trace this but it is not the result expected. Though, you need this image to be kept underneath your creation since you can not see the accuracy of your work if you keep it away. And you may get tired soon by referring it that way turning your head left right directions. Fortunately, the radius of circles have been marked in correct direction. Otherwise, nobody can fix the circles accurately. I followed the measurements given and sometimes did calculations too. First small circle guide a measurement that you can follow at once. I drew a verticle line as measurements show. Another line at given distance of 360. And then the third line starting from first line to 1195. From that line you can create other lines. I drew all of them without measurement to end but a bit long. I drew  circles in a free place and drag them to connect to radius lines I had drawn to R size. So on I completed it except one place which I could not find any hint to complete it. That is a very small half circle near by the started circle. Anyway, I am attaching an image of my creation which is not cleared by trimming. Have I done it correctly or incorrect manner? Or, have I misunderstood this? Thank you! 

A Trial.png

That was brilliant! This is exactly what I'm looking for. Can you teach me how to draw them step-by-step and using image for better understanding? Thank you.

Edited by basty