Need Help on Drawing Arc with Unknown Parameter

I would like to ask technical drawing method.

How do you draw an arc with radius of 400 that passing through point A and tangent to red line?

Thanks in advance

Arc_Unknown_Parameter.thumb.PNG.47974320ae5b80da24d3d3ece8f838b8.PNG

Here's a hint. If you offset the red line by 400, the center of your circle will be somewhere along that line.

I tried your instruction already.

The result is, I can make a circle with radius of 400 and tangent to the red line and the offset one.

Now how do I make it passing through point A?

Edited by basty

Think about how to find that point on your offset line. You know it's 400 units away from Point A.

41 minutes ago, CyberAngel said:

Think about how to find that point on your offset line. You know it's 400 units away from Point A.

I tried your instruction but I can't do it to make it pass through point A.

What should I do?

The problem is, if I make it tangent to the red line, it doesn't pass through point A.

If I make it pass through point A, it doesn't tangent to the red line.

I would like to ask also how do you locate the center point.

Edited by basty

Thank you for the reply. I am sorry, I still don't understand. Can you show me the construction geometry with dimensions like mine? Thanks

Edited by basty

So, words are better, can describe why....

An arc is just a part of a circle so make circles first and then arcs afterwards that way you are not concerned with arc lengths initially.

The red line is a tangent to the arc you want. If you offset the red line by 400 as a temporary line and draw a circle, radius 400, anywhere on this it will touch the original line. So draw a temporary line offset from the red one and 400 away.

If you want an arc or circle to pass a point, point A, the best way is to draw a temporary circle of the same radius centred on the point you want, A. A circle anywhere on that new circle circumference and of the same radius will pass through point A. So draw a temporary circle, radius 400, centred on A.

Temporary line says a 400 circle on that and the original line will be tangent to that.

Temporary circle says a 400 circle on that will pass through point A.

With luck the temporary line and the circle will intersect at least once. This is the centre of the arc. Draw an arc. Delete the temporary lines.

It might be that the temporary circle bisects the temporary line twice, means that there are 2 options for the arc, left and right of the point.

1 hour ago, Steven P said:

So, words are better, can describe why....

An arc is just a part of a circle so make circles first and then arcs afterwards that way you are not concerned with arc lengths initially.

The red line is a tangent to the arc you want. If you offset the red line by 400 as a temporary line and draw a circle, radius 400, anywhere on this it will touch the original line. So draw a temporary line offset from the red one and 400 away.

If you want an arc or circle to pass a point, point A, the best way is to draw a temporary circle of the same radius centred on the point you want, A. A circle anywhere on that new circle circumference and of the same radius will pass through point A. So draw a temporary circle, radius 400, centred on A.

Temporary line says a 400 circle on that and the original line will be tangent to that.

Temporary circle says a 400 circle on that will pass through point A.

With luck the temporary line and the circle will intersect at least once. This is the centre of the arc. Draw an arc. Delete the temporary lines.

It might be that the temporary circle bisects the temporary line twice, means that there are 2 options for the arc, left and right of the point.

I am at this step (see attached image please). Can you tell me please what to do next?

Arc_Unknown_Parameter_2.PNG

The next step is to draw an arc, using the first option to choose the centre of the arc and make this point the intersection with the the new circle and the offset line. start of the arc will be point A and then (with or without holding down control for direction) pick another point on the first line. If it doesn't quite meet then extend the arc to the line

Delete the temporary lines.

Before deleting temporary lines you should have something like this: and noting that there are 2 options for the arc.

Magenta lines are the temporary construction lines that you have drawn, red + in a circle are the intersections for the centre of the arc.

image.png.515ae95bdf93b67d4b3a28788e7db09e.png

Edited by Steven P