Delete existing (nested)block and insert new block with same name won't change to new version

Thijs

Hi there,

I'm trying to solve a issue and I can;'t figure out how to do this.

I wrote a script to find a specific Block called "BASEELE3" OR "BASEKA0", each of these Blocks have nested blocks inside them called "BASELOGO" and "LOC_NAME".

I wan't to change the BASELOGO and the LOC_NAME blocks for new ones, only they will keep the same name.

I have come to the point where I can find the existing BlockReferences "BASEELE3" and "BASEKA0".

But removing (delete) them and insert a new block with the same name, containing revised blocks of "BASELOGO" and "LOC_NAME", doesn't do anything.

If I explode the main Block "BASEELE3", and use the same code to search for the "BASELOGO" directly and delete this, and insert the new "BASELOGO", it does work fine.

If I delete the "BASEELE3" and do a purgeall (twice), and insert the new BASEELE3 with the nested Blocks BASELOGO and LOC_NAME, it does work.

However if I op de drawing afterwords, Autocad recommends to do a recovery on the file because it found 3 errors on the drawing.

It seems like I have to delete all three blocks before I insert the new block. But I don't know how.

Everywhere people write ThisDrawing.Blocks("BASELOGO").delete does the trick, but it doesn't.

Does anyone know how I purge these two blocks (that no longer exist in the drawing after I deleted the main block "BASEELE3" withour getting errors on reopening the drawing?

I have added the 2 modules I wrote so far, in the attachment.

I would appreciate you help.  

A_Start_Module.bas GetDWGFiles.bas

16 hours ago, Thijs said:

Hi there,

I'm trying to solve a issue and I can;'t figure out how to do this.

I wrote a script to find a specific Block called "BASEELE3" OR "BASEKA0", each of these Blocks have nested blocks inside them called "BASELOGO" and "LOC_NAME".

I wan't to change the BASELOGO and the LOC_NAME blocks for new ones, only they will keep the same name.

I have come to the point where I can find the existing BlockReferences "BASEELE3" and "BASEKA0".

But removing (delete) them and insert a new block with the same name, containing revised blocks of "BASELOGO" and "LOC_NAME", doesn't do anything.

If I explode the main Block "BASEELE3", and use the same code to search for the "BASELOGO" directly and delete this, and insert the new "BASELOGO", it does work fine.

If I delete the "BASEELE3" and do a purgeall (twice), and insert the new BASEELE3 with the nested Blocks BASELOGO and LOC_NAME, it does work.

However if I op de drawing afterwords, Autocad recommends to do a recovery on the file because it found 3 errors on the drawing.

It seems like I have to delete all three blocks before I insert the new block. But I don't know how.

Everywhere people write ThisDrawing.Blocks("BASELOGO").delete does the trick, but it doesn't.

Does anyone know how I purge these two blocks (that no longer exist in the drawing after I deleted the main block "BASEELE3" withour getting errors on reopening the drawing?

I have added the 2 modules I wrote so far, in the attachment.

I would appreciate you help.  

A_Start_Module.bas 4.95 kB · 0 downloads GetDWGFiles.bas 817 B · 0 downloads

I already found the solution!

It's actually as easy as:

- just insert the new block

- regen drawing

- Delete the inserted block again.

- save and close the file

Public Sub InsertBlock()

Dim INSPOINT(0 To 2) As Double
INSPOINT(0) = 100
INSPOINT(1) = 100
INSPOINT(2) = 0

Dim BlockReplacementPath As String
BlockReplacementPath = "C:\Users\Thijs\Desktop\VBA code directory LOGO vervangen - kopie - werkt\Ketjen Blocks\"

Dim MyPath_Drawings As String
MyPath_Drawings = "C:\Users\Thijs\Desktop\VBA code directory LOGO vervangen - kopie - werkt\Tekeningen\"

Dim ReplacementBlock As String
ReplacementBlock = "BASELOGO"

Dim newBlockRefPath As String
newBlockRefPath = BlockReplacementPath & ReplacementBlock & ".dwg"

'start Autocad
On Error Resume Next
    Set acadApp = GetObject(, "AutoCAD.Application")
    On Error GoTo 0

If acadApp Is Nothing Then
        Set acadApp = CreateObject("AutoCAD.Application")
        acadApp.Visible = True
    End If

'Open drawing
Dim currentFile As Variant
currentFile = "BASEELE3 Heel"
 acadApp.Documents.Open (MyPath_Drawings & currentFile & ".dwg")

'Insert updated (nested)block
Dim ReplacingBlockRefObj As AcadBlockReference
Set ReplacingBlockRefObj = ThisDrawing.ModelSpace.InsertBlock _
                           (INSPOINT, newBlockRefPath, 1#, 1#, 1#, CurrentRotation)
                            ZoomAll

'regen complete drawing
ThisDrawing.Regen acAllViewports

'Delete the inserted block again
ReplacingBlockRefObj.Delete

'Save the drawing
ThisDrawing.SaveAs (MyPath_Drawings & currentFile & "_NEW.dwg")
'close the drawing again
ThisDrawing.Close

End Sub