Coping of Steel Channels

Bill Tillman

I am trying to draw up a set of stairs in 3D. There is a problem I seem to be having with showing how to cope the stringer member which runs along the slope of the stairs and a horizontal channels which will support the stringer.

The slice command has worked well for me in the past but I can't seem to figure this one out with my limited 3D experience. The drawing in question is attached and if someone could point me in the right direction I think I can pick it up from there.

3D-STAIRS.dwg

I would suggest using the SLICE command as one option.

Another option would be to copy the stringer and channel off to one side and subtract one from other. Substitute back in the revised stringer.

It wasn't easy, but I got this one resolved. The trick was to draw separate shapes with the same footprint as the channels, then make them slightly longer in one direction (height), then extrude these to a comfortable length. Then by using SUBTRACT I was able to get the correct copes shown in the stringer and plate.

There's more than one method for this I'm sure, but for now this is working at it's very accurate.