What is an "arrangement" engineering drawing?

troy_af

Hello there.

I am just looking for a little advice if possible. As part of an engineering course, I have to produce a CAD drawing of a product which I have designed. It asks for detailed engineering drawings, but also for an arrangement drawing which doesn’t need to be detailed or show any dimensions.

I submitted what I thought to be exactly that. It is simply a drawing of the device, fully assembled and without much detail or dimensions. The tutor has said its wrong and need to be “clearly presented”.

Not really sure what they mean by this or where exactly I am going wrong. Thank you for any guidance at all.

So, you were told to create an arrangement drawing but you weren't told what an arrangement drawing is?

Without knowing all the details of what you're working on, perhaps your tutor is actually looking for an Assembly drawing, like the one shown below? It would be best to ask for clarification on what exactly they are looking for.

box assembly.jpg

1 hour ago, Cad64 said:

So, you were told to create an arrangement drawing but you weren't told what an arrangement drawing is?

Without knowing all the details of what you're working on, perhaps your tutor is actually looking for an Assembly drawing, like the one shown below? It would be best to ask for clarification on what exactly they are looking for.

box assembly.jpg

Correct. The course hasn't specified what is meant by an arrangement drawing, which is quite frustrating.

I'm working on a device which is used to carry bicycles. It states that the arrangement drawing should show the bicycles on the device, so I'm assuming that cannot mean an assembly drawing.

The only feedback I got was that it needs to be clearly presented.

What did you hand in?

Pretty much a GA (General Assembly) drawing is just what you stated, a view of the assembly all put together, sometimes with (as the actual bicycles in your case) other items that would go along with the assembly, but not part of it, in some cases people using it, a dog in a dog cage, etc.

Mine is usually a 3D type view (sometimes more than 1) and sometimes with some of the parts/pieces labeled.

Maybe this article will help.

General Arrangement Drawings 101: Understanding the Importance of GA Drawings

Here is one I have done for a coupling test support frame, it shows how the components are assembled on the support frame.

General Arrangement.png

On 26/02/2024 at 11:28, SLW210 said:

What did you hand in?

Pretty much a GA (General Assembly) drawing is just what you stated, a view of the assembly all put together, sometimes with (as the actual bicycles in your case) other items that would go along with the assembly, but not part of it, in some cases people using it, a dog in a dog cage, etc.

Mine is usually a 3D type view (sometimes more than 1) and sometimes with some of the parts/pieces labeled.

Maybe this article will help.

General Arrangement Drawings 101: Understanding the Importance of GA Drawings

Here is one I have done for a coupling test support frame, it shows how the components are assembled on the support frame.

General Arrangement.png

Yeah that was exactly what I assumed the arrangement drawing to be.. basically the device put together with the bikes on it. Not a drawing to be used for manufacture  and hence no dimensions or details.

I chose a plan view and in 2d. I think 3d is too advanced for the module, as it is just a basic introduction to cad, and the tutor said to keep the drawings simple.

Like I said the only feedback was that it is good but needs to be clearly presented. I will have to ask for further clarification, but thanks everyone for the advice.