Layers won't purge

I'm trying to create a blank template that I can use as a basis for all my projects, but I can't get certain layers to delete. I have tried exploding blocks and putting them all on to layer 0 and it still tells me there are multiple layers that I can not purge. How do I get rid of them?

If it is going to be a blank template I would make everything visible that you want and then copy and clip to a new drawing or wblock it to one. Modifying a drawing to become a template which is then used and (in my experience) copied again with the content deleted to be a third drawing adds a lot of bulk to the drawing over time.... so start as clear as you can.

If you have blocks in the drawing I would be reluctant to explode them all unless you are sure you don't need them, better to edit them or find a LISP that will set all their entities to 'By Layer' and Layer 0.

Look through all the layout tabs, and in line with making this as small a file as possible, delete those that you won't need (just in case there is something on one of them). Also on layout tabs look for any entities on them, viewports, title blocks, borders and so on.

Is there anything in the extremes of the drawing, turn everything on and Zoom All to check this

I'd also try an overkill - not because it will help here but deletes some junk in the drawing

Attribute text can be over ridden to be a layer rather than what the block is on, so might be something to look for. If you can use LISPs - worthwhile thing to do - and you think this might be the case I can post a little LISP to make this easier 

and as Fuccaro says, a drawing can be helpful so we can let you know what is happening

Making a dwt can take a little bit of effort as Steven P has suggested, starting with a wblock is a good way to start. 

If you get a copy of Steal by Lee-mac.com it will help you to bring in the following from other dwg's. It is fairly straight forward to use.

Layers

Blocks

Linetypes

Text styles

Dimension styles

Can import a layout from another dwg reset title block back to say "-" values. Layout C T.

Save as DWT, do Options, Template, set Template name and Template path for other dwt choices, then your DWT will be the one used on start up.

Our dwt had like 100+ layers 200 blocks as it had to match CIV3D for importing field data, we then did a custom purge but with filters like, purge Layers Road*. So a typical dwg would drop to say 30 layers and 30 blocks.

Yes had a consultant send us a dwg and hidden away inside was a block of an entire other project, not good management, problem of just erasing stuff in an existing dwg. 

Edited by BIGAL

If layers are referenced in a block definition you cannot purge them from the drawing they're in by exploding or deleting them. You would have to edit the block and move all objects to other layers and change the current layer to 0 before saving and exiting bedit.

Like tombu i would suggest our dwt blocks 99% were set that objects were on layer 0, there is lisps that will do that for you. Then can delete layers.

• Like 1

I believe merging the layers in the Layer Manager changes references in those blocks or anywhere else like a dimension style as well. 

Don't have access to AutoCAD right now but I'm sure I've done it that way before.