How to make AutoLisp file?

NanGlase

Where can I learn how to program or make a Lisp file? What application is used? Please let me know if that's okay.

I think most of us started with an idea "How do I do this quicker, more accurately or more consistently" and start from there, building up knowledge as you create LISPs to do what you want to do.

I use a lot of online resources, this forum is great by the way. For learning don't ask for a complete LISP since you are likely just to save that and not learn how it does what it does, but ask for small portions of code. Use these codes in your projects

Apart from here, there is another forum, TheSwamp which is also good.

Online:

AfraLisp has a lot of good examples,

Lee Mac has a lot of small functions which can be used to build larger functions or as stand alone functions

AutoDesk has online help for all the functions

As for creating a LISP, it is a text based language and you can use any simple text editor to write the code as the simplest form

First off though I'd look on Lee Macs website for his tutorials on writing and running LISPs

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steven P said:

As for creating a LISP, it is a text based language and you can use any simple text editor to write the code as the simplest form

This usually gets me in trouble now since im not using lisp on a daily basis anymore.

I suggest notepad++ recognizes lisp code structure so things are color coded and its easier to hunt down errors.

if you want to go off the deep end get Visual stuido Code. doe everything notpad++ does and alot more like specific addins and autocomplete syntax.

if you have BrisCAD 18 or higher they have a build in coder called blade.

• Like 2

but for learning.... nothing better than the harsh realities of plan notepad!

• Funny 1

Ask about a task and someone will give you the steps not code so you can learn, Google is your friend always add "Autocad lisp" to your search.

Like others read a few of the tutorials search your hard drive for Garden path tutorial. Look here for link.

Would you recommend this tutorial? - Autodesk Community - AutoCAD

Edited by BIGAL
  • Like 1

Got to be accurate with notepad or learn how to debug the code, better for learning the basics, make a mistake and you have to work out where exactly and why yourself. VL IDE guides you along the way

17 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Got to be accurate with notepad or learn how to debug the code, better for learning the basics, make a mistake and you have to work out where exactly and why yourself. VL IDE guides you along the way

@Steven P, so NOTEPAD demand more from the user, I use VLIDE since my first LSP, and debug is easiest, and I can run  line by line to test it. 

• Like 2

Depends on your goal, If you want to learn then software than won't help you along the way is a good tool, but if you want to actually produce something that works, then yes, VLIDE or similar is the way to go

I start with Notepad most of the time. VLIDE, not sure how long it will be around, Visual Studio Code is the default now, but you need IT to add the App from the APP Store and install VS Code as well, then you need other additions as well, trying now to get access to PowerShell at work, something Autodesk has either not though through or just doesn't care.

Same with all of the other editors and IDEs, a lot of people have to go through IT to get it. Pain in the arse.

AfraLISP and Lee Mac best place to start, I like AfraLISP Archives for references as well. You should also look into Jeffery P. Sanders Site and Terry Miller among others.

More examples of Autodesk, when they introduced the Ribbon only way to edit is to use CUI, they did not allow a mnu version. Did find something other day about using .net to make ribbon code, the cuix is a zip of lots of xml files.

I tried loading VS and it failed so just gave up and continue with Notepad++, Blade and Vlide.

Yes use Powershell can do some really smart things but called from lisp.

; unzip file to known directory
(startapp (strcat "powershell -command Expand-Archive -Path '" filename "' -DestinationPath 'C:/CAD-TOOLS' -FORCE"))

Edited by BIGAL