Design Center Problems

jopton

Dear Forum,

I am using AutoCAD 2008 and would like to move layers between drawings. I have opened the design center and attempted to drag and drop layers from one open drawing to the target drawing. The layer appears in the layer manager but I can not see it anywhere in the drawing. Maybe this is an issue with coordinate systems? When I simply copy all the objects on the layer in the original drawing and then "paste to original coordinates" in the new drawing it works great....however I imagine design center would be a faster way to do this. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank You

I dont know this for sure but i have been using 2008 for a while and my understanding is that the design centre is used for copying across the layer into the drawing with all its settings colour, linetype ect. so if you started a new drawing and didnt want to set up all of the layers textstyles ect. you can just drag and drop not the objects on the layer unfortuneatly one of the easiest and quickest ways like you said would probally be the layiso command then copybase. Hope this helps.

Thank you both for your speedy replies!

1. I had not drawn anything in my new drawing just copied and "pasted to original coordinates" a few of the layers I wanted from the original drawing. I did set the coordinates and projection to ME83 and the units to feet however.

2. If you can't actually move objects on layers between drawings only settings for that layer that would explain the difficulty I am having!

What does anyone think the best way to transfer layers between drawings is? I am used to using ArcGIS 9.2 and find the arccatalog system and excellent method of storing and organizing data. Is there an equivalent feature in AutoCAD2008 of AutoCAD Civil 3D 2008. I read a little about the Vault but it seemed like a lot of trouble to set up.

Thank You

You can not "paste layers to the original coordinates"! You can copy/paste objects only. The pasted object will be placed on the same layer as in the original drawing. If a layer with that name doesn't exist it will be created automatically.

Jopton

LAYERS can be easy transfer across drawings. All the objects on a layer can be transfered as well if you isolate the layer first than copybase/paste (as ChrisRose told you previously).

• 2 years later...

1. Open Layers Properties Manager of the drawing that has all the layers you want.

2. Click the "Layer States Manager" button (3rd from top left of dialog box)

3. Dialog box "Converted Layer States" pops up and click "OK"

4. I'm not sure if this name is default but select the name LMAN_ACET-LAYISO.

5. Click the "export" button and save wherever.

6. Open the new drawing where you want the layers transferred. Follow the same steps but this time you want to "Import" that same file you just exported.

7. Done! I hope this helps.