Linetype issues when transitioning to new Acad 2024 3D

Hello everyone,

We've recently began transitioning from the very old version of Acad 2000 to Acad 2024. In doing so, I've run into an interesting problem with my linetypes:

I have 4-5 linetypes all using a simular definition which is basically a line with a character inserted at intervals to represent various buried utilities such as water, sewer, gas, ect...in my drawings.

In the new Acad, all of these linetypes are displaying with the inserted character oriented true north and not perpendicular to the line.  An example of one  definition is as follows:

"water, -----W--------W------

A,150,-20,["W",STANDARD,S=15,A=0,X=-7.5,Y=-7.5],-20,150

"

where the rotation of the inserted character is set with A=0 for my old Acad.

There was no "U" for upright as an option in the old version.

When I changed the rotation to U=0, the linetype displays correctly in the new Acad but I then get a linetype error message in the old version.  We've not completed this transition yet and I simply must keep the old cad operational for a while until this process is complete.

Is there a workaround for this such that I can continue with just one acad.lin file and not get an error in either system, maybe with alternative coding or a filter of some sort, or does it boil down to requiring seperate linetype files for the old and new versions?

If I have to go with two different files, are there any problems I should be aware of?

I'm struggling with making this transition happen, so your help is really appreciated.

James

Have no idea why not working had a look at my "W" only difference is it uses1 decimal place, but I am not running 2024.

A,20,-5.08,["W",STANDARD,S=1.8,R=0.0,X=-1.8,Y=-0.9],-3

Yes can do Water24 in same lin file, but that is not really the answer to why not working.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JamesC said:

In the new Acad, all of these linetypes are displaying with the inserted character oriented true north and not perpendicular to the line.  An example of one  definition is as follows:

"water, -----W--------W------

A,150,-20,["W",STANDARD,S=15, A=0 ,X=-7.5,Y=-7.5],-20,150

"

where the rotation of the inserted character is set with A=0 for my old Acad.

In complex linetypes with text, the rotation field of the text used to have two alternatives, i.e. R=value and A=value. The R= signifies relative rotation to the line direction and A= signifies absolute rotation with respect to the origin. If both fields are not specified, the rotation defaults to R=0. As your linetype definition includes the A=0 field, then all your old drawings should have had all the characters aligned to North. Perhaps you only had horizontal lines where the effect would not be noticed?

The U=0 field is not backwards compatible with version 2000 and produces an error, as you have noticed. The R=0 should be compatible with both versions, but the lines would have to be drawn in the correct direction for text to be in a readable alignment. The A=0 field should also be compatible with both versions. I do not have the latest version so I cannot check that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eldon said:

In complex linetypes with text, the rotation field of the text used to have two alternatives, i.e. R=value and A=value. The R= signifies relative rotation to the line direction and A= signifies absolute rotation with respect to the origin. If both fields are not specified, the rotation defaults to R=0. As your linetype definition includes the A=0 field, then all your old drawings should have had all the characters aligned to North. Perhaps you only had horizontal lines where the effect would not be noticed?

The U=0 field is not backwards compatible with version 2000 and produces an error, as you have noticed. The R=0 should be compatible with both versions, but the lines would have to be drawn in the correct direction for text to be in a readable alignment. The A=0 field should also be compatible with both versions. I do not have the latest version so I cannot check that.

Eldon,

I decided to go with "R=0.0" rather than deal with seperate linetype files.  This works in both the old and new Acad.  Drawing in correct orientation should not be too big of an issue for us, and if it proves to be,  well I may have to reverse course.  It works around my issue for now though.  Thanks for your response and help.

James