• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wannabe

• SEANT

• David Bethel

• ASMI

I think F# will replace AutoLISP.

I've heard the same kind of thing for the past 15 years, this or that will replace AutoLISP. But it is still around and still very popular. I would not bet against AutoLISP just due to the pure number of users that would have a conniption if they take in out and stop paying the VIP subscription or whatever it is called now.

Their hope was that it would die from neglect and it hasn't. -David

I've heard the same kind of thing for the past 15 years, this or that will replace AutoLISP. But it is still around and still very popular. I would not bet against AutoLISP just due to the pure number of users that would have a conniption if they take in out and stop paying the VIP subscription or whatever it is called now.

Their hope was that it would die from neglect and it hasn't. -David

If there is overlap with the introduction of F# and the phasing out of LISP, I am sure the majority of LISPers will have no qualms when their F# counterparts are more productive and efficient and not necessarily working any smarter or harder.

Just my opinion.

> wannabe

F# can't replace LISP. F# is strongly typed language but LISP is non typed language. Even knowing about F# only it it is possible to tell that philosophy of F# is completely incompatible with philosophy of LISP and means impossibility of realisation of LISP-algorithms. But it is possible to tell that philosophy LISP corresponds to DWG/DXF format which is the list.

Excuse certainly, but it seems to me that you a little understand in things about which try to speak.

> wannabe

F# can't replace LISP. F# is strongly typed language but LISP is non typed language. Even knowing about F# only it it is possible to tell that philosophy of F# is completely incompatible with philosophy of LISP and means impossibility of realisation of LISP-algorithms. But it is possible to tell that philosophy LISP corresponds to DWG/DXF format which is the list.

Excuse certainly, but it seems to me that you a little understand in things about which try to speak.

Closing assertion much appreciated :) .

However, I still believe that F# is the .NET language that will take the place of AutoLISP in ACAD.

Here's a link to one of the coding examples on which I base my "opinion" making.

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2009/02/importing-and-pixelizing-images-inside-autocad-using-f.html

Closing assertion much appreciated :) .

However, I still believe that F# is the .NET language that will take the place of AutoLISP in ACAD.

Here's a link to one of the coding examples on which I base my "opinion" making.

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2009/02/importing-and-pixelizing-images-inside-autocad-using-f.html

You've got to be kidding. -David

You've got to be kidding. -David

Not at all. With the new Macro recorders and such and the all the signs pointing to the exclusion of LISP at some point, I see the use of these languages being developed as alternatives.

Could be a million miles off. Just expressing my opinions and viewing those of others.

> wannable

I have looked a F # code (thank you for link) and it has really seemed to me easy and clear. But I do not think that it can replace AutoLISP on popularity. For this purpose there are many reasons. At least one this use of difficult structure of NET classes. There are few users who with it will understand and the more so will reach fast results (they do not have on it time). On AutoLISP it is enough to write in the command line (command "_.circle" "0,0" "10") and you get a result. I do not consider it as real programming however this beginning. No, I do not trust that F # can take place AutoLISP.

> wannable

I have looked a F # code (thank you for link) and it has really seemed to me easy and clear. But I do not think that it can replace AutoLISP on popularity. For this purpose there are many reasons. At least one this use of difficult structure of NET classes. There are few users who with it will understand and the more so will reach fast results (they do not have on it time). On AutoLISP it is enough to write in the command line (command "_.circle" "0,0" "10") and you get a result. I do not consider it as real programming however this beginning. No, I do not trust that F # can take place AutoLISP.

Jumping straight into .NET and not being inclined to develop my LISP skills, your comments are very useful.

Do you not think it would be possible, in much the same way Visual Basic for Applications was derived (watered down) from Visual Basic, that there may be a similar implementation of F# in ACAD?

EDIT: Im thinking a set of wrappers for the .NET functions, that may even replicate LISP and ACAD command line functions?

Replacing Lisp would be difficult for any of the .NET variants. I do happen to agree that many Lisp programmers intending to switch to a .NET will find F# most appealing.

> wannabe

F# can't replace LISP. F# is strongly typed language but LISP is non typed language.

In the next release of C# (4.0 [though it may apply to the next release all the .NET variants]), a new object type “Dynamic” will defer the typing of objects from design time to runtime. This will allow for less constricted coding up front in a fashion similar to Lisp, JavaScript, VBScript, IronPython, IronRuby, etc.

Reference:

http://channel9.msdn.com/pdc2008/TL16/

The link above streams video of a speech by Anders Hejlsberg, the chief designer of the C# programming language. For a direct download of the video (340 Mb) try this link:

http://mschnlnine.vo.llnwd.net/d1/pdc08/WMV-HQ/TL16.wmv

I can't believe how many threads in this forum are based on this very discussion.
Yep. I've run across it many times over the years.

23m7tjd.jpg