Using viewports within XREFS

darrellk-1

I am working on a drawing for an outside company that has the drawing XREF'd. On layout page I find that when I scale one viewport, the others scale as well:o What tha' :?

I am running AutoCAD 2004 full version, XP Op sys.

How do I make one viewports scale different from the others with a drawing that is XREF'd? I have used viewports for many drawings and love the flexibility for layouts. I normally don't use XREFs because I am a small office.

Are you using the SCALE command? In which case you would be scaling the geometry in model space.

To scale a viewport, the easiest way is to select it; bring up its properties and type in, or scroll down to, your desired viewport scale.

Nope, not scaling the model space just the viewports. In the layout page, as I make the viewport active, other viewports on the layout page zoom out losing their scale. Once I scroll down and select a scale of one viewport and move to scale the next, it zooms all viewports out full:( again. Not sure how to make it behave as on a normal drawing when I can scale each viewport on the layout page individually.:ouch:

Could be a variable, could be a bug. Have you tried locking the other viewports?

Post up the drawing if you want me to have a look.

Wannabe, thanks a bunch. :thumbsup: Locking the viewport works great; never had to do that before on non-XREF drawings.

I design commercial foodservice kitchens and bar areas and occasionally get drawings with XREFs attached and always have difficulty dealing with them, is there a good tutorial that will help me further understand XREFs?

It's got nothing to do with the fact that xref's are attached. There are two reasons why all the viewports react when you activate one of them.

The first reason has already been mentioned. All of the viewports are unlocked. Locking them will stop this.

The second reason is because the UCSFOLLOW variable is set to 1 in each viewport. In order to fix this, you will need to activate each viewport, one at a time, and type UCSFOLLOW at the command line and change the setting to 0.

Great command to know also. Guess my default when I set up my own drawing was already at , as I haven't run across this problem before. Working in someone else's drawing bring out unfamiliar issues at times. Thanks a bunch CAD64 :), you guys are such a resource of information.