Need advise for snapping objects in 3D

Command: Manick

I've been getting back into the hang of using autoCAD in 3d because I've got a lot of assignments that deal with revolutions of an object or multiple auxiliary views of an object. Instead of drawing a horizontal, plan, and profile view, I'll instead just draw a 3d object and make 3 viewports with their own relevant views. But as soon as I need to draw an object that has multiple details, I have trouble getting everything to snap where I want it to. What have you found to be the best snap settings to take advantage of when trying to snap objects in really crowded/detailed areas? Also, I was having trouble figuring out why, but for some reason the program would show me the solid backlines behind my objects regardless of my visual style setting. I wasn't sure if it was a setting I accidentally messed up or if it was more of a technical issue with the cache memory or graphics card.

well there is osnap and osnap settings so you can change which intersection or quadrants you snap to but you also have snap buttons. here is a screen shot of the snap settings(right click on osnap at the bottom) and the object snap tool bar.

is it possible for you to put some of your ojects on different layers or is this all one part?

snap].jpg

Most OSnaps are set up to work on coplanar objects by default, so lines that appear to intersect but have different Z-values will not be snapped to, and other similar situations. To work comfortably in 3D, you should spend some time understanding the UCS (User Coordinate System). Read up on it and keep it in mind, especially when working with faces that do not correspond to the default views (front, back, left, etc...).

I actually hadn't thought about using layers before with 3d objects but I guess it would make much more sense to use them. I'll see how that works out. As far as the UCS goes, I know the UCS well enough (I think), and usually use UCS -> Face to control it. But for Osnap settings, I never learned how to use all of them, and don't really know if I should have a different setup than I have for 2d drawing. The ones I don't know how to use are quadrant, and apparent intersection, and I rarely use anything but endpoint, midpoint, center, and intersection together unless its for a specific purpose. Thanks for the tips so far :D