Student Needs Help!

f6096548

Thanks eldon,

Like I said I've been on the same RC drawing 3 days now. I did look at the OP image and I thought the 1203 was without a space. We usually bar mark like 10 H12-13-200 (5 NF, 5FF).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f6096548

• Tiger

• skipsophrenic

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi guys...back again...i did what i thought was the full drawing yesterday but after consulting with him on the phone he tells me its quite possible i've done it all wrong. Perhaps the fact i guessed the location of many of the objects in the drawing. It has to be accurate however i just can't work it out...i've been racking my brains all nite. In the original hand drawing attached i can work out the centre point of the central bar (i hope this is what it is...i personally have no idea what its called) but using the rectangle tool i can't place it exactly and on the correct scale. I've read as many tutorials and view quite a few videos on youtube but i can't quite understand how to draw it accurately!

So you have the location of the center of the bar? Draw a cross there with some help lines so you have a point to snap to. You do use OSnaps right?

And you have the size of the bar? I'd say draw the bar beside the drawing, so you get the right dimensions. THe use MOVE to move it to the right position. Then it's easier to match the center point of the bar to the centerpoint in the big design.

at the moment tiger i'm free handing it...regardless of size and shape...i'm just trying to get it to look like the original...this is far to hard and way too much effort for 5%. especially considering i haven't ever used this software and i have no idea how to read this diagram. i've tried to get in touch with other people in my class to see if they can understand it but everyone seems as stuck as me!

"Perhaps the fact i guessed the location of many of the objects in the drawing. It has to be accurate however..."

First. Someone should have told you to draw everything full size in model space.

Second. There appears to be sufficient dimensions to draw the pile cap fairly accurately. You should not be guessing.

I cannot discern from the screen image you've posted exactly what runs down the center of the pile cap (left to right) although it might be a "keyway" of some sort.

Model space? Que?

The first time i tried to use autocad was yesterday at 10am GMT...fast forward 24hrs and i'm still not clued up.

You were unaware that AutoCAD has model space and paper space? Wonderful.

Model space is the default for AutoCAD. Typically it is black (another default) and it is where one draws all objects full size. I won't get into details about paper space, viewports, scaling, etc. I think you have enough to deal with already.

ReMark is a grumpy old guy, don't take his grudging too seriously - just that too often we get students here that don't seem to have a clue about what they're doing. Why this is, we don't know - even if we do like to speculate :twisted:

If you can - upload the dwg that you have, I can take a look at it and see if I have any pointers.

And if you haven't done anything drastic since the first dwg you uploaded - you ARE in model space and drawing - and you ARE drawing in scale 1:1 - which is all good :)

Well i do apologise ReMark. I come from the UK and autocad has been recently added to the syllabus for our engineering degree. although we haven't cover these drawings (or the software) i have to produce one by friday?? they must realise this is ridiculous because its only worth 5% of the overall course mark

Drawing1.dwg

I'm grumpy and I can't see either.

Shouldn't the group of four piles on the left be a mirror image of the ones on the right?

Accuracy can be improved by using commands such as Mirror and Offset and by using Ortho mode. Any of these ring a bell?

First off, the second set of circles (counting from left) need to move further to the right. The distance from the square end of the bar to the circles (middle to midle) should be 350.

Still looking.

ye but i've already placed all the piles in the correct locations. i was struggling with the actual size of the piles in diameter so i guess it. if you check my previous post, i've attached the drawing. I've read the tutorials for mirror but i found it quicker to just draw and place the piles myself. i'm currently struggling with adding the text and the lines pointing to the rebar. i don't know how to measure these so there as accurate as they are in the drawing!

AS usual I cant get the dims to match up. I have 10mm that I can't find somewhere.

I recommend that place all your dimensions (go Dimension > Linear) and see for your self what they are. Try to copy the dimensions that are shown in the example so you can match them dimension for dimension.

I can't read the numbers properly so my 10mm are probably in there.

i don't get what you mean centre to centre...the distance from the right end of the bar to the middle of the circle should be 350...but if thats 350 then its far too big

Ok, here it goes. I have made some changes to the placement of the circles and the lenght of the bar to get the dimensions right. BUT - if you read the dimension below the model, as far as I can see, they don't match, there's a 10mm difference that I can't find.

I have just had a go at drawing from your hand drawing, and the dimensions that are missing from the drawing are the diameter of the piles and the size of the column at the left hand end of the wall.