Problems converting from CAD 2009 to Visio 2007

mdifil

I am having some problems when I convert a CAD drawing of our building to Visio.

1. Some of the objects after conversion will be grouped together. These objects may or may not be on the same layer. Sometimes these objects can be ungrouped within Visio and other objects do not seem to be able to be ungrouped. Some of these grouped objects may be on the same layer, and other grouped objects contain objects on different layers.

2. Some objects after conversion are duplicated and triplicated in Visio.

I have saved using different versions and formats, though per Visio documentation I have stuck with saving as .dxf file format and version 2000. This particular CAD file I am trying to convert was created by a third party. I have combed through all the objects causing problems verifying that they are all on the proper layer and that the block properties are what I need. If anyone has run across this problem and know of a solution please let me know. Thanks.

I am having some problems when I convert a CAD drawing of our building to Visio.

1. Some of the objects after conversion will be grouped together. These objects may or may not be on the same layer. Sometimes these objects can be ungrouped within Visio and other objects do not seem to be able to be ungrouped. Some of these grouped objects may be on the same layer, and other grouped objects contain objects on different layers.

2. Some objects after conversion are duplicated and triplicated in Visio.

I have saved using different versions and formats, though per Visio documentation I have stuck with saving as .dxf file format and version 2000. This particular CAD file I am trying to convert was created by a third party. I have combed through all the objects causing problems verifying that they are all on the proper layer and that the block properties are what I need. If anyone has run across this problem and know of a solution please let me know. Thanks.

Just for clarification I am using Autodesk's AutoCAD 2009 LT product version c.608.0 (commercial version not academic) and "Microsoft Office Visio 2007 (12.0.6336.5001) SP1 MSO 12.0.6320.5000)"

Why is the drawing being converted to Visio in the first place?

Have you tried asking the same question at a Visio forum?

Help with Visio:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.visio.general&cat=en_us_6fd03b82-c478-41b4-a9e1-a5629f47ae88&lang=en&cr=us

Have you tried bringing in a DWG file instead of a DXF file?

Some problems can be the result of going back to 2000 file format from 2009. That's a big jump. Some objects either may not be recognized or may not be present. Did the 2009 drawing contain any Dynamic blocks?

ReMark

I have tried dwg files with the same results. I have experimented with saving files in multiple file formats and versions. Per other documentation and through trial and error, for Visio to accept an inserted CAD drawing it needs to be in the 2000 version format. I will look at posting on a Visio forum. Thanks

I am converting these files to Visio because the person who will be managing the floor plans will need an easier application to use other than CAD. We are also looking into using Visio's Space planning feature, which allows linking objects (desks, chairs, etc.) with an excel database for inventory management.

Thanks for the additional information. Wish I could come up with a solution to your problem but I am stumped for the moment. Should I stumble across anything of interest I'll post back.

I appreciate your help. I am currently attempting this conversion using Visio 2003 (as opposed to 2007). If I figure out what is going on I will post as well.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

I have been able to determine that the problem was with the originating CAD file, not sure exactly what the problem is, but other CAD files work as expected. Thanks to all that replied.