projectwise

chelsea1307

so, I know this isnt a autodesk product but with all the people on here using different project management im hoping someone can shed some light on this. We just switched a big project from buzzsaw to projectwise, and now of course we're having problems. Has anyone used projectwise succesfully? We using MEP and have xrefs from structural and architecural into our plans for hvac and plumbing. when we load our dwgs to projectwise we lose any xrefs that are not in the same folder as where are dwgs are (structural and architectural have thier own folders withing the project on projectwise.) Becuase of this when we check them out we dont get the lates structural and architectural backgrounds and info we need. I hope this makes sense, the training they provided isnt doing any good because even following thier steps dont work. Basically im trying to xref info from projectwise into the dwg i checked out from project wise. Any help would be great.

I don't work in that area at all but for a novice like me it sounds like a path error. I used xref for using a extra set of sheets for plotting a model. When importing the model I could choose between no path, relative path and entire path. I suggest that you check that.

checked all three options on those to no avail, it has something to do with projectwise scan for references part, got it kinda figured out but still having problems

A key thing is to run scan for references after dragging your DWG files into ProjectWise Explorer. This will run through those DWG files and pull out all of the information about the XREFs in the DWG files. ProjectWise then manages that information and uses it to determine what files are needed to be copied down to the local machine when opening the master DWG file into AutoCAD from ProjectWise Explorer. As you add or remove xrefs through the standard xref command in AutoCAD this will automatically update the xref "set" information that ProjectWise maintains in the database.

Any specifics about the problems you are having?

John

Ok, so i got it worked out, we werent given access to certain files and that was the problem they worked it out on thier end and now its working better. Is there a way to change the copy out location? Some of our files show that they do not have any x-refs (the little E icon on the bottom) but when you open them they do, any ideas to why?

By copy-out do you mean your working directory? That can be changed in ProjectWise Explorer->tools->Options->General->Working Directory.

If a file does not show with the "e" overlay on the icon, then ProjectWise does not know it is a master file. I would suggest that those files be run through Scan References. THe reason that the x-refs may show up in AutoCAD itself is that they were already copied-out into your working directory possibly by opening some other file that referenced them. Since they are there in your working directory already, AutoCAD will just find them.

HTH,

John

Ive ran the reference search multiple times and still cannot get it to recognize some files as master files, any other suggestions? thanks for the help so far too.

so, we think we have it figured out. We detached all the xrefs and overlayed them using the projectwise toolbar and now projectwise is recognising them, this probably wouldnt be so bad if this was the beginning of the project and we didnt already have work and time put in to getting the xrefs the way we want them. but now everything seems to be working fine.. hopefully it will stay that way.