Xref Issues....

EMS_0525

:? Ok, my company uses xrefs for everything. So the colors are wrong, so the prints will be wrong... Is there an easy way to change colors in a base file thats xref'ed into many other drawings and have it update in the other drawings, i dont want to mess up what layers are turned off or on in the "Sheet" files... Its a mess, it seems like the only true way is to detach and reattach the xref, but that messes up what layers were off or on... Layer States wont work either. :reallymad:

We also work across a Wide Area Network, so i was looking into INDEXCTL, and XLOADCTL... anyone have experience using these settings... It seems to speed up the drawings when opening them.

i use the "edit xref in place" command, but then it still wont update all the other drawings that have that xref in it...

I don't know if this will work or not, but feel free to try it on a drawing or 2:

1. whilst in the drawing containing the xref(s), change system variable VISRETAIN to 1

2. create a LayerState, and name it accordingly. save the layerstate. then click on the named layerstate you just created, ensure the tickbox is empty next to colours (or any of the other options available), save the layerstate

3. save the file

4. open the xref file

5. make the changes to the layers as to how you want them.

6. save the file

7. go back to the file containing the xref(s)

8. reload the xref(s)

9. open the Layerstates dialogue box, and restore the layerstate you created in step 2 above.

So as you can see, layerstates will work; when utilised correctly

layerstates save layer colors.... thats what i want to change... so if i restore a layer state that had major contours saved at color 100 but i just reloaded the xref with the correct color 50 and i restored the layer state it would change all the colors back....