Flame - MAYA - 3Ds Max

JaketheMan

Could someone tell me the difference between the three software. From what I gathered - they are all basically the same program; 3D modeling software, with perhaps a few differences with interface and functionality. Before I dig deeper into deciding which to purchase, I would like some information from the users here at AutoCAD forums. I come here a lot with drafting questions and issues I am having, but because I am starting my own business and building clientelle, I would like to know which of these programs is the better choice. That's ofcourse assuming they all do the same thing.

Thank you~

Also I've heard of another software called Rhino.

What's the different factors to consider when purchasing 3D modeling software, why are there so many versions, and do they all do the same thing, from what I have read - yes.

My best advice for you is to download the trial versions and test them out. The program you choose really depends on what you want to do with it. If you're going to produce still renders or animations I would steer you toward Max or Maya. If you need to do more technical CAD type of modeling, then maybe Rhino, Solidworks or Inventor would be a better choice.

Flame is a compositing and effects program. It's not a modeling package.

Flame is a compositing and effects program. It's not a modeling package.

Used with for example movie editing like changing background colors, adding music, and inputting CGI? Interesting if that's the case. A buddy of mine has something very similar that is made by Adobe. We've made some trippy home movies together hahaha. 8)

From what I've been looking at, the most industrialized 3D software is 3Ds Max Studio's. Looks like that has been used for almost every game I can think of. Where as Maya seems mostly used in the movie industry. Am I hot:arrow: or cold:back:?

I've never used Flame, but from what I've read, it's used for creating effects like fire, lightning, fog, rain, etc.

I think Max and Maya are used equally for games and entertainment, it just depends on who you tallk to. Generally Max users hate Maya and Maya users hate Max. It's just one of those things. The programs themselves are very similar, but they each have different features and techniques that make them unique. You just need to try each of them and see which one you feel more comfortable with.

I'm like a spoiled girlfriend.

'I want one of those, one of these, two of those.'

"But honey each software package is like $900!"

'I dont care I WANT IT!'

:lol: Same here.

I use about 10 different programs. Each of them have their own special purposes. I've found that there isn't any one program that can do everything. You need to be able to move from one application to another in order to get the results you require.

I cant afford to use all the software I need, not without a business loan. Plain and simple. Hopefully I will be able to work something out with the bank next year and start working for myself. Thanks to websites like these, I'm able to buy any major software I want and have a database of unlimited information and experiance. It's amazing how much forums teach you on a daily basis. COME ON 5:30! I'm ready to get off work and go home for the weekend damnit~!