Sweep

ausmods

What is too much work?

In addition to using symmetry about the origin there are way too many points in the splines. Many people have the misconception that more points is better in a spline when in fact just the opposite is true. The best spline has only two points (of course that best case isn't always possible).

Search Google on Ed Eaton Curvy Stuff DiMonte Group tutorials for good treatment of this topic. The tutorials are written for SolidWorks but the geometric principles are the same for any CAD software.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shift1313

• ausmods

• JD Mather

wouldnt a spline with two points be a line:)

I didnt notice any nodes on his splines. My screen shots had multiple points but i wasnt worried about the end result but speaking of which, can you add nodes to splines after creation in inventor? ive done this in ugs but never tried with IV.

wouldnt a spline with two points be a line.

Right click on that "line". You can do a lot to change the curvature (Inventor or SolidWorks).

...can you add nodes to splines after creation in inventor? ive done this in ugs but never tried with IV.

Yes (Inventor or SolidWorks). Mather's rule, RMB (Right Mouse Button) everything.

• 1 month later...

Alright, heres a quick silly (and hopefully easily answered) question, I cant seem to find how to specify an exact offset distance in a sketch (eg, 2mm)... Nor does the cursor want to snap to the grid whilst im doing an offset... What am I missing? Or what setting do I have wrong?

Any ideas?

Right click on that "line". You can do a lot to change the curvature (Inventor or SolidWorks).

I was just kidding around. I create two point splines and turn the curvature handles on.

Will inventor only do point driven curves or will it do a "best fit" bezier curve as well? I know 2010 seems to have a few more options when it comes to splines but I still dont see a "best fit" for fit method.