Threads looking strange in different visual styles

cvriv.charles

I created an unfinished model of 16tpi threads using the helix and sweep tools.

If I change the visual style to conceptual I can see some weird lines here and there on the crest flat of the thread. Why is it doing that? Is that the correct geometry or a goof up?

Also,... if I change the visual style to realistic and look at the crest of the thread from the side up real close,... the surfaces are like not even touching the lines. I can see the lines just floating there. The surfaces arent even aligned with the lines. That doesnt seem right. Why is it doing that? It this correct?

Read this tutorial, in fact do all of the tutorials in my signature

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/CAD238/AutoCAD%202007%20Tutorial%204.pdf

Pay attention for the setting for the DELOBJ variable to preserve all of your construction geometry so that others can follow your technique without having to try to reproduce.

I would use a method following the actual manufacturing technique (cut threads).

For the graphics problem that could be your graphics card/driver. In any case the geometry should be correct even if the computer graphics you are running isn't capable of extreem fidelity.

I would set viewres minimum 2000

and facetres = 10

regen and see if that helps.

While you are at it you might also set dispsilh.

I think all of this is covered in the tutorials.

Read this tutorial, in fact do all of the tutorials in my signature

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/CAD238/AutoCAD%202007%20Tutorial%204.pdf

Pay attention for the setting for the DELOBJ variable to preserve all of your construction geometry so that others can follow your technique without having to try to reproduce.

I would use a method following the actual manufacturing technique (cut threads).

For the graphics problem that could be your graphics card/driver. In any case the geometry should be correct even if the computer graphics you are running isn't capable of extreem fidelity.

I would set viewres minimum 2000

and facetres = 10

regen and see if that helps.

While you are at it you might also set dispsilh.

I think all of this is covered in the tutorials.

Ok I will go through the tutorials if allthe nidy gridy is covered. Most tutorials cover basic stuff. I dont want basic stuff. I can figure all of that out myself.

What I want to know is why I havent seen any of those variables in my autocad book, "MASTERING AUTOCAD". Hardly.

My videocard is a 9800GTX. I actually have two of them. Not exactly the best but definitely not a minimum.

Thanks.

Also,... I am practiving cut threads. This thread is for the inside of a tube. I need to get the one end of the thread to come to a point as the the read would be from cutting.

I need to get the one end of the thread to come to a point as the the read would be from cutting.

Requires a second helix with taper. Attach the attempt including all construction geometry if you can't figure it out.

I measured that the thread diameter of your previous post and it seemed to be rather large and non-standard. Can you give exact specifications for the thread.

Requires a second helix with taper. Attach the attempt including all construction geometry if you can't figure it out.

I measured that the thread diameter of your previous post and it seemed to be rather large and non-standard. Can you give exact specifications for the thread.

It is large and very non-standard. It's going to be a 2.25"ID tube with the ends threaded to a length of .5".

The threads are going to be thread milled. The cutter is going to be either 3/8" or 3/4" in diameter.

I am not understand what you mean about using another helix for the end.

Well,... when I figureout the exact dimensions for the thread and the part itself,... I will try and taper off that end. I will post it here for you to see. Thanks for your help.

Hey. Been playing around with some system variables and it doesn't seem to be working. I took a picture of what I am looking at. I am thinking that maybe you are seeing something different than what I am seeing?

I have the system variables set:

viewres=20000

facetres=10

displsilh=0

I also have facet lighting enabled instead of smooth lighting.

As you can see the faces are like not flush I guess you can say with lines?!?! I dont even know how to describe it. Any more suggestions?

I have been scouring for system variables but if anyone has been through this before and know how to fix this, I could use your help.

Try Regen

Nothing is wrong. Shading is accomplished by the software dividing the faces up into thousands of triangles and applying different shades for highlights and shadow areas. There is a limit to how much the software will divide the faces up and still maintain some acceptable level of performance.

Part of this is also graphics card/driver.

Why do you need to zoom in so close to the geometry?

In the end the geometry definition is still correct even if the graphics display is not as smooth as you would like it to be.

You might get better results using a more modern software like Autodesk Inventor. The 3D graphics with Inventor are much better.

Ok. Well,... as said before I have a 9800GTX videocard with the latest driver. I am only zooming in this close so I can see how things turned out. I am just curious like that. But if you say everything is alright then everything is alright.

I was playing around with the visualize tab's edge effects panel. I set something in there for no edges. Plus I set dispsilh=0. That kinda helped. Made it look smooooth. But when I mouse over I can see the outline.

Anyways,... I'm not worried about it to much at this point. Well I am but I figured theres nothing I can do about it so the only thing I can do now is forget about it and just draw.

Thanks for your help. I will look into inventor. Although I dont know if that will really benefit me. I'm not loking to get a job as a draftsman. I want to operate my own cnc machines. prototyping my own ideas. Now that you know this,... you think autocad is just fine for this or should I go right to inventor?