Offset a Surface into itself

greatsyd

I'm using Civil 3D and was not really sure where to post this.

I measured a stockpile. Made a surface out of it.

I've been asked to add 1m on it and calculate the volumes.

How do I do this? It's not lowering or raising the surface by 1 m because then it's just a vertical offset. See below cross section to maybe help in describing what I need.

image.thumb.png.464eeae967c21d15dbe95db68f0d8692.png

Thank you very much!

See this thread at the Autodesk forums. To do exactly what (I think) you're asking would probably crash your system.

There is a SURFOFFSET command in AutoCAD, but it's for 3D surfaces, not civil surfaces. For some reason it comes up in the C3D help, though.

Here's someone at AUGI asking for this very feature in 2016.

Someone else here might have a workable solution. Sorry I can't help.

A big task as you want a swollen answer, only idea I can think of is make cross section at small spacing offset them, clean up ends, then using Rotate3d Stand them up, attached to original alignment. Then convert lines to Surface a massive task. 

Its not that hard to stand up the cross sections vertically the hard part is aligning them. Taking flat results to correct XY location. Done for like 1 sheet but if you have say a 100 yeah TO HARD. 

Thinking more maybe take cross section pline make points, taking into account a 3D transformation. Tricky have a chainage that relates to an alignment, new XY, cross section is 90 to alignment. Have offsets and can work out Z. 

10 hours ago, BIGAL said:

A big task as you want a swollen answer, only idea I can think of is make cross section at small spacing offset them, clean up ends, then using Rotate3d Stand them up, attached to original alignment. Then convert lines to Surface a massive task. 

Its not that hard to stand up the cross sections vertically the hard part is aligning them. Taking flat results to correct XY location. Done for like 1 sheet but if you have say a 100 yeah TO HARD. 

Thinking more maybe take cross section pline make points, taking into account a 3D transformation. Tricky have a chainage that relates to an alignment, new XY, cross section is 90 to alignment. Have offsets and can work out Z. 

That makes me think the answer is in a grid surface. Find the normal in each grid segment, offset that, and build another surface from those points. That removes a lot of the complexity at the cost of some accuracy.