FILEDIA=1, still no dialogue box

compman19

I have a similar problem that I cannot find the answer to.

Here is some background info.

AutoCAD Light works fine

Auto CAD Mechanical and Autocad 2004 has the problem.

I recently updated Norton 360 to 3.0 ver.

The nice people at Norton helped to fix the Trojan virus that was in my computer due to a fake e-mail from UPS.

Here is the problem, something that "FILEDIA" can not fix.

If FILEDIA is at "0" I can type and open files, but if it is at "1" then i can not do anything.

If I type OPEN or click Open or click on the File Open Icon nothing happens the wait cursor appears but nothing happens. I can right click on the task bar and close AutoCAD and restart.

I suspect that Norton is blocking that open window because it thinks it a bad item but I cannot find anything on the web that explains how to fix that with that firewall and Norton 360.

Hiya!

First off, please start a new thread for each new question you have. And don't double-post - your question will get noticed anyway.

Second, barring that it's Norton messing things up (which is likely) - have you checked if the box opens outside of the screen? when the box is suppose to be open, hit Alt+Spacebar+M (M for move, will be something different if you have a non-english WIndows)

IF that doesn't help - does this happen in Word or something similar as well? IF it is Norton, then it should be blocking every dialogue box, shouldn't it?

I don't have an answer but what happens if you set FILEDIA=0 then type ~ in response to file name? This normally opens the dialogue box.

Every program works fine, it just Mechanical and AutoCAD 2004. I have checked to see if the dialog is off the screen but its not.

When the "open" command is given in any form, I see the hour glass cursor, there it flips and flips but nothing happens eventually the bar that contain the drop-down menus like "file" turns into a white line and thats all that it does.

Even using the ~ character and having FILEDIA=0

Well, testing if it is Norton is relatively easy (Run this by your IT Deartment if you have one first).

1) Ensure the file is saved locally on your system.

2) Disconnect your computer from the network (physically, I.E. remove the cable from the tower)

3) Disable Norton's auto-protection settings

4) Start AutoCAD and attempt to open a file.

If the file shows up, it's Norton's fault. If it doesn't...it's likely a problem with the AutoCAD installation and may need repaired. WARNING: Repairing an installation runs the risk of losing all customization files. Be certain to copy these to another location so they can be replaced.

I am having the same problem using AutoCAD 2009. Only the command line options are present, but no dialogue box using the "Light" command. The program was installed only a week ago as an upgrade from AutoCAD LT - Any ideas what would cause this.

filedia is set to 1, but makes no difference.

Is it just the Open-command? Any other command that involves a dialogu box (can't for the life of me think of one right now...), does that work?

Haven't we seen a thread recently where the problem was that AutoCAD was first looking in a folder that didn't exist? But Open should look in the last folder you used... how about if you use New and choose a template, does it hang then too?