Flatten a 3D Model

stevenadriannechua

Apparently, I've searched through these forums about this but the answers are only ortho views on the model.

I need help on flattening a model where you can see all the parts of the model on your paper and build it as a scale model by hand.

EDIT: It's like making the blueprints in ACAD, then printing it and building it. I'm wondering what should I do...

Flattening a model? A 3D model?

Flatshot is one way it could be done. From AutoCAD Help file:

"With the FLATSHOT command, you can create a flattened view of all the 3D solids and regions in the current view."

A second way would be to use the commands SOLVIEW (for the views) then SOLDRAW for the 2D geometry.

The third way would be to use SOLPROF.

The fourth way would be to just go to your layout and setup the standard four viewports associated with a 3D model (top, front, side and isometric) and use that as the basis of your drawing.

It's your choice.

I got the model on 3D Warehouse and I want to flatten it and build it using matte board, glue, etc...

And you have been able to load this model into AutoCAD 2008 and view it? Just how much experience do you have working in 3D?

Secretagdan: Please refresh my memory. Is the drawing example you provided referred to as a pattern? I vaguely recall having to draw (for an industrial arts course) a pattern of a prism to be made into a three-dimensional form. After drawing it, the pattern was cut out and folded to ressemble the object. We also had to do a cube, wedge, cylinder and a cone.

Yeah i cant really remember... I did it long ago in High School, where we had an asignment to make a bunch of different shapes like that...

I did have a book that showed how that worked, but it seems to have walked off.... If I find it, ill let you know.

I got the model on 3D Warehouse and I want to flatten it and build it using matte board, glue, etc...

Zip and attach the file here.