Can I display a surface in a drawing when...

spittle

I've chosen to display only cut edges on my section?

Attached is a rough JPEG1 hopefully showing what I mean.

The reason I want to do this is so that I can replace the dashed line in JPEG2 that I had to draw on on my drawing rather than model it.

SURFACE.jpg

GL2.JPG

you should be able to expand the design tree and right click on your item and select show. I havent run into anything I couldnt show/hide in a drawing yet.

No joy - I've tried all I can think of...

I'm trying to eliminate drawing sketches on top of my Solidworks sections.

so when you change it to show, does the surface not appear? Im having a little trouble visualizing what you are working on. So you have a solid body that was cut using a surface and you want the surface to display as a dashed line in a section view?

The dashed line in JPEG2 is indicating a damp proof layer that inreality is in between the two layers of concrete. If I drew it like that though you wouldn't see it so that's why it's drawn just below the top slab.

the problem with drawing it on is if there are any drastic changes, then the sketches inmy drawing go all over the place sometimes so I want to try and model as much as I can.

I find though if I hover over the edges that I want to show, they will flash to indicate there are hidden lines but I don't have the option to show them, I've tried right click options and doing it on the tree without success.

I quickly modeled the assembly shown in jpeg one as a test, I want to show the section of the solid with the top 3 lines of the surface showing as dashed.

well if you need a dashed line, in one of your sketches(make a new sketch) if you project the edge you want, keeping the external references, and making it a construction line, it will be dashed and you can 'show' it in the drawing. Not sure this is really a valid option but i use infinite length constructions lines and turn them on in some drawings for reference.

If you use a surface as a cutting tool it will automatically be hidden but showing it should work, im not sure why it wouldnt. Can you post up a sample file? maybe the sldprt for jpeg1?

I don't want to slice anything with the surface, and a sketch won't help as I want to be able to create a section anywhere on my model and have it display the dashed line showing the damp proof layer. If I use an offset surface then it will update whenever the dimensions of the slab change.

Currently I have about 10 sections of my model showing various details and I have to sketch this on every time.

Attached is the part (with another embedded inside it) and the assembly.

Drawing was too big.

surf off assy.zip