Problem with 'free store overflow'

DJMDesign

Hi guys, Im having a problem with the titled.... Have been working on the boilerhouse lighting (see thread) and managed to get it going in the right direction, then when I try to load the drawing it gets to about 67% mentions 'free store overflow' then crashes AutoCAD. Really gutted as the model was looking really good and I have to provide more images for my client so losing out on earning from it too...... PLEASE HELP!!

:x

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• DJMDesign

• Cadfisch

• lichuen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It might be worth to give it a try – I got rid of all that sort of messages and the resulting crashes by activating the /3GB switch. Before that I was living a nightmare when working with big files. Ever since no matter how hard I try, I just don’t get AutoCAD to crash any more.

A quick search of the AutoDesk Discussion Forums turned up a couple of threads regarding the exact same problem. I did not see a definitive answer. There is some debate as to whether it is a problem with the file size or a memory related problem. Are you on subscription?

It might be worth to give it a try – I got rid of all that sort of messages and the resulting crashes by activating the /3GB switch. Before that I was living a nightmare when working with big files. Ever since no matter how hard I try, I just don’t get AutoCAD to crash any more.

What do you mean by the 3gb switch?

A quick search of the AutoDesk Discussion Forums turned up a couple of threads regarding the exact same problem. I did not see a definitive answer. There is some debate as to whether it is a problem with the file size or a memory related problem. Are you on subscription?

Im not on subscritpion but have registered to be able to view threads and searched myself, agree with you that there was no definitive answer on there.... This is why Im on here to speak to the 'real' experts! Bit annoyed at the moment due to me having a sense of euphoria (and client praise) when i produced the results displayed earlier. My client's asked for further views, would be embarrassing if i have to say no to him...... :huh:

The /3GB switch tweak is mainly aimed at XP users who have maxed out their motherboards with 4GB of RAM. Windows won't recognize it unless a tweak is made to the boot.ini file. It is not a difficult thing to do. I know. I've done it myself on my work computer. The increase in usable memory is supposed to aid in the dealing with large file sizes. There is no guarantee that it will solve your problem but if you meet the criteria it is worth a try.

What is the file size at this point?

Would you be willing to try an experiment? I'm thinking along the lines of running AutoCAD in Windows safemode to see what happens.

What is the file size at this point?

Would you be willing to try an experiment? I'm thinking along the lines of running AutoCAD in Windows safemode to see what happens.

The file size is only 10meg so not sure if thats the problem.... I have 2gig of RAM so may not be enough to run the rendering (although it was ok running for so long, then this error message appeared)

http://www.hugedrive.com/published/WG/show.php?q=REpNREVTSUdO-449fc102

If interested, the above link will take you to the drawing, see if it opens on your computer, let me know how you get on....

2GB RAM? What OS are you running? What graphics card are you using? How much vidRAM on it? You may have bumped up against the limitations of your graphics card.

I downloaded your drawing and I was able to open it without a problem in AutoCAD 2009. No fatal errors; no crash. A message did come up about the number of annotative scales but that was about it. I wouldn't even try to render it on my home machine because the graphics card is anemic. I'm running XP Pro, 3GB RAM and my graphics card is AGP (don't laugh!) with 128MB RAM. Like I said...anemic.

I can open your drawing without any problem. A quick render though resulted in a dark grey image with only a few structures visible. But that’s probably because I didn’t make any selections.

I'm beginning to think it is not a problem with the drawing itself or with AutoCAD but with your computer setup. What are the full specs on your computer?

I don't see why file size should be a problem in this case. At work I had a 29meg file and only 700MB RAM. It was slow as hell but it worked.

I'm beginning to think it is not a problem with the drawing itself or with AutoCAD but with your computer setup. What are the full specs on your computer?

Attached is a screen grab of the system, I cant see why it wont run properly... beginning to wonder if a system restore is in order? Graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9550, which I cant see on Autodesk's supported list, maybe thats the problem?

system.gif

I think the graphics card is the culprit. An 8x AGP card in a world dominated by PCIe cards just isn't going to cut it any more. That's why I stay away from heavy duty 3D work on my home machine.

I think the graphics card is the culprit. An 8x AGP card in a world dominated by PCIe cards just isn't going to cut it any more. That's why I stay away from heavy duty 3D work on my home machine.

So say I was going to get a graphics card that will handle everything smoothly, which one would i go for?

Also, why would you be able to open it with an AGP card yourself?

You're motherboard dictates what can be done with graphics. In your case, like mine, the only option is AGP as it is a dedicated slot. Do not put in a regular PCI card as performance will really plummet.

Why could I open the drawing without it crashing? I don't know. But my setup is a bit different than yours. One difference is the amount of RAM. I have 4GB. The speed of the RAM may be a factor as well.