Convert to: Column or Beam

pnikkosis

I've been playing a little with architecture 2009 and love how can I convert let's say a rectangle with thickness into a slab or a wall. But there's no option to convert to a beam or a column, that's for some purpose or am I missing the option?

There Is no option for that, byt you can convert to a mass element.

Draw a rectangle, select and right click and choose convert to a mass element.

Or type EXTRUDE on the command prompt and select your rectangle and chose your height.

Better of, see my answer to your question

Change column and beam sizes in Architecture 2009

//Tobias

Yes, that's what I've been doing, so there's no benefit of having a solid considered as a column or beam rather than a generic mass element?

Now I remember why I wanted to classify my objects, cause I thought that when you have the objects defined they would be printed or showed in a blueprint as what they're supose to be (a column, beam, stair, slab, etc) and that kind of classification already had all the properties assigned

Yes, that's what I've been doing, so there's no benefit of having a solid considered as a column or beam rather than a generic mass element?

Now I remember why I wanted to classify my objects, cause I thought that when you have the objects defined they would be printed or showed in a blueprint as what they're supose to be (a column, beam, stair, slab, etc) and that kind of classification already had all the properties assigned

by using the structural items you can apply a "structural" style from the structural catalog, and doing scheduling and notating becomes easier than manually adding the size, the tag will then update if the size is changed per say structural engineer. You can attach a block to a structural member if needed. We do not use the structural items for our framing plans, only for say ornate beam work in a front porch.

Classifications help you sort through items for scheduling purposes and display purposes.

look on the Autodesk University website for free online classes, there is a great one on classifications.