LDD 2000 to Civil 2009

ryanchrisxp

Expect a 18-month learning curve...

that sounds about right. definitely train the cad users, it's not an option.

LDD 2k to c3d 09, that's quite a jump.

We jumped from LDD 2004 to C3D2008 and let me tell you that quite a huge step, depending on what your use of the software you make.

You MUST have professional training, here at the office we don't use all the features that C3D gives but it is almost impossible to learn it by yourself with only the tutorials because everything, every features and commands are not brought in the same way LDD deals with everything.

For sure it gets easier in the long way, but it takes at least 6 months to get used to it and be quite performing with the software. We've had a 3 days intense professional tutorials which made the learning more effective and adapted to our needs.

One last point, make sure to let some professionals create you template with all the styles that you business is using that makes it you «trademark». Because with C3D it is all about the settings of the styles in the template. If you get this done, you are almost 6 full months of work ahead of your time, because creating styles involves so many intricacies and features that sometimes are well hidden... Not quite user friendly at first...

Hope this helps.

I'll follow on with what the others said. At minimum I'd suggest a week long training session to get you going with it. After that you might be able to take it from there with online assistance (tutorials, discussion forums, etc.). You could also get training dvd's which are available on various sites. If I had my way I would have regular training sessions every six to twelve months until I had it down.

I don't know if I'd agree with Hardney on having someone else develop your template, but lots of folks take that route. Personally I'd rather do that sort of work on my own so I am more familiar with how to do it and therefore, able to make edits to the template if and when necessary. If you do choose to pay someone else for such a service get numerous quotes as some firms will whitewash you with a profoundly high cost. Again, I reiterate, it is best to do it yourself imo.

I would suggest learning to use the program first, then learn how to create and edit your styles.

I would also say take a hard look at using a template that comes with C3D right OOTB. Yes, you may have to make a few tweaks to meet local code, etc. but it may turn out to be easier to change your CAD standards to fit an existing template, then to piddle around with the template for weeks at a time trying to get it "just right"...

Yeah that's a great idea. I used the Land Desktop template that is set up to appear more like Land Desktop (of course) and then modified it to suit.