Updating Blocks

memphis710

I have created several drawings containing blocks and now that, handily I am half way through, my client has decided he wants to change their appearance. (Make part of the block visible on screen, but not when plotted). Is there a way of updating ALL of the so far completed drawings with the new block, without having to basically start from scratch? I have modified the blocks in the latest drawing and re-defined the blocks under the same names

Cheers

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• memphis710

• GE13579

• Sickguy

• dumfatnhappy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers for that, however I have got 150 Drawings with around 200 - 250 blocks in each... Is there another way? (Other than telling the client where to go?!?)

Guest LElkins

memphis,

can you please tell me what version of autocad you are using,

the file name of the block that you want to insert,

and the install location of autocad.

Cheers

Guest LElkins

memphis,

i am working on a script for you, but i had done so hoping that you has at least full autocad so that you could use the express tools.

is there a chance that you could download a trial version of full autocad to use for this process?

if not, do you have any access to a machine with full autocad?

cheers

Guest LElkins

ok, memphis, read this very carefully and if you are unsure of anything then please ask.

try what i describe below with example files first.

create a new drawing and create blocks in it called new_test and save it in C:\

then wblock some linework and save it in C:\cad_file\new_block.dwg

open notepad and copy the code below and save as blockreplace.scr

-layer
n
newblocklayer
s
newblocklayer

-insert
C:\cad_files\new_block
-blockreplace
new_test
new_block
y
layerp
-laydel
n
newblocklayer

y
qsave
quit

when you have tried this and happy that it works and want to use it on your project drawings, in the code above, replace C:\cad_files\new_block with the path of your new block. For some reason i can not get it to work with space in file name so replace all spaces with underscore, this includes folder names.

replace new_test with the name of the existing block which will be replaced.

open a new notepad and copy the code below and save it to a file called block_replace.bat

FOR %%V IN (*.DWG) DO START /W "c" "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD Architecture 2008\acad.exe" %%V /nologo /b "C:\blockreplace.scr"
FOR %%V IN (*.BAK) DO DEL %%V

In this, replace the AutoCAD Architecture 2008 with the version that you are using.

Put both block_replace.bat and blockreplace.scr in C:\ and also put your drawings there.

when running the routine you will not be able to use your machine so will be best to run over luch.

to run the routine just double-click on block_replace.bat

hope this helps. if any of this is unclear then please just ask and i will be more than happy to help.

cheers

Thanks very much, you're a star. Will try this as soon as I get my proper copy of autocad back!!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers!!

Guest LElkins

no problem memphis.

like i said, it may not make much sense if you are unsure what is happenning, so if i didnt make anything clear enough then please ask.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

LElkins, I can get the test to work, but I now have the problem of spaces in the original Block name... Bugger!! Cheers for the script though, quite simple when looked at like that. Does make sense.

Now... Anyone any Ideas about using spaces in AutoCAD scripts?

The following:

-blockreplace

new_test

new_block

y

layerp

-laydel

...needs to read

-blockreplace

100 'H' Frame

new_block

y

layerp

-laydel

(100 'H' Frame is the original Block name)

LElkins, cheers for the script. Got it to run standalone with the correct files. However, I cant get the batch script to run properly. It loads up acad, and the first drawing file, but acad loads with the error pictured. It says it cant find the old block, (I have checked the name of the block and it is right) and skips on to the next line in the script, still searching for a valid block. Is this due to the incorrect drawing loading in the first instance? txt file is acad command output.

Cheers so far, great help.

Error.txt

1.jpg

dumfatnhappy, that is what I am doing with the script, but with the shear volume of drawings and blocks within the drawings, I need an automated script.

• 1 year later...

Hi crgonzo,

I didn't get a reply as such but had a bit of a search round on google. I think I eventually found and used this free program - http://www.softpedia.com/get/Windows-Widgets/Widget-Miscellaneous/Space-Remover.shtml

Little batch program that removes the spaces from filenames and replaces them with underscores. Seemed to work a treat!

Hope this helps.

memphis

I don't have time to read all of this but I thought enclosing the file name within quotes allows spaces. At least that's how I do my scripts.

I have created several drawings containing blocks and now that, handily I am half way through, my client has decided he wants to change their appearance. (Make part of the block visible on screen, but not when plotted). Is there a way of updating ALL of the so far completed drawings with the new block, without having to basically start from scratch? I have modified the blocks in the latest drawing and re-defined the blocks under the same names

Cheers

what version of ACAD are you running? in newer version you can "right click" and look for the "edit block" option. from there you can go into the "block editor mode and edit the block as its own seperate drawing. once saved it works sort of like an xref and will universally update all.

to make part of the block print, in the block you can create a layer thats a no plot layer, or simply put the parts you dont want visible on defpoints.

This was suggested earlier but not suitable due to the number of drawings and blocks-

Cheers for that, however I have got 150 Drawings with around 200 - 250 blocks in each... Is there another way? (Other than telling the client where to go?!?)

This was suggested earlier but not suitable due to the number of drawings and blocks-

250 blocks is pretty excessive. would have to understand the format he is working in i guess in order to give solid advice.